Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dtawse
Service Provider
Liked: never

How to backup a Windows Server 2016 Scale Out File Server

Post by dtawse »

Hello,

This may be a daft question but I've failed to find any definitive information on this. We have a 2-node Windows Server 2016 cluster. The cluster is primarily used to host Hyper-V VMs for a remote desktop environment. All VMs are stored on a directly attached SAS unit with Cluster Shared Volumes. Veeam B&R is running on one of the nodes and is configured to protect the clustered VMs. All good, however...

There is also a Scale-Out File Server role configured on the cluster to hold the User Profile Disks created by RDS. As this share is created by the host nodes, it isn't captured by Veeam in the backups of the VMs. How best can I protect the data on the SOFS share? I've followed the steps at https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 to add the SOFS share as a Managed Server within Veeam but can't find a way to have this included in the backups.

For now, I've configured a simple file copy backup job but this doesn't give me any retention history or encryption.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
DT
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How to backup a Windows Server 2016 Scale Out File Serve

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R allows to backup VMs with disks residing on SMB3 file shares, but, as far as I can get, your share contains files, so the only option is file copy job.