Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fvaldez
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: rhayes

How to backup Isilon using Veeeam

Post by fvaldez »

I just move from VMware Replication and Bacupexec to Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 toreplicate and backup my VMware VM's and up to here I love it!, but now I have a problem, I have an EMC Isilon that I ca't backup anymore!
I have suggested to use NFS shares attaching it to VMware ad datastore then create a VMDK, but I heard bad things about it. Does anybody have another recommendation?. Also, Veeam team planning to implement some kind of solution on this matter? In advance, Thank you very much to all of you. oh by the way, I am using file to tape to backup this Isilon files.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: How to backup Isilon using Veeeam

Post by csydas »

RE Integration, Who knows? :) Maybe somewhere.

But you can present it as a SMB share to Veeam and it'll see it just fine. Be sure to chose the align data block and decompress option for the repo and disable Dedupe for the backups to get the storage dedupe: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Maybe in the future they'll add integration )
fvaldez
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: rhayes

Post by fvaldez »

Csydas, forgive my ignorance, I did create a backup repository (CIFS, SMB) using Isilon as the repository, but when I tried to backup that, it runs for about a second then it stops with success, but nothing backed up.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

What are you trying to backup in the first place when you say you can't backup your Isilon anymore? If this is a CIFS/NFS file share, you'll need to use a Files to Tape job in order to back this up, at least for now. Eventually we're looking at introducing a native NAS backup solution which will remedy this.

Joe