Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lokiju
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jay Thomas

How to backup larger than max size LUN's?

Post by lokiju »

I recently added a VM that has the largets provisioned LUN to date in our environment. The LUN is just under 2TB.

I can't seem to get it to backup and according to the error message it looks like it's due to how large the LUN is.

The error I get is.

Freezing guest operating system
CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-2026", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "False"
File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>

How do I get these LUN's and VM backed up if they exceed the limits?

The guest OS is Server 2003 Standard 32bit.

The host environment is ESXi 4.1 Enterprise Plus.

I'm running Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0.0.179 64bit.

The Veeam server is a VM in the same environment and everything else is being backed up using the virtual appliance method.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: How to backup larger than max size LUN's?

Post by Gostev »

LUN where VMX file for VM resides must large enough block size to accomodate largest VM disk. This is because by default, VMware creates snapshot file on the VMX datastore.

By the way, if you try to snapshot this VM manually with vSphere client, you will get the same error - so really, this issue has nothing to deal with Veeam Backup.
lokiju
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jay Thomas

Post by lokiju »

I understand that limitation, I'm wondering though if there is anyway I can backup large LUN VM's without needing a snapshot?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Only with agent inside of guest :)

VMware image level backup requires snapshot to be created, otherwise hot backup will not be possible even theoretically.