How to backup particual snapshot state

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

How to backup particual snapshot state

Veeam Logoby drpooh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:16 am

We have VM with many snapshots and decided to delete them all. But before doing that we need to backup some of VM states (snapshots). One way is to shutdown VM, take one more snapshot, then revert to desired state, backup it. Then next revert to next desired state and backup it. After all revert to snapshot we did before backup and delete all snapshots. It's time consuming. VM will be down for long time. Another way is to shutdown VM, copy it's folder, register with different name and do revert&backup while main VM is working.
Question: it there any way to do backup without shutdowns and reverts? As I understand when VM with many snapshots is backuped it's date is taken from base vmdk and subsequent snapshots. And VM when reverted to snapshot reads its data the same way. So why can't we choose which state of VM with snapshots to backup?
drpooh
Lurker

Liked: never

Re: How to backup particual snapshot state

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 am

Hello,

Veeam B&R is using VADP (vStorage API for Data Protection) to backup/replicate VMware VMs, which in turn does not allow to preserve existing snapshot tree for the backed up VM. During backup/replication job all existing snapshots are merged to the parent virtual disk, and I guess the easiest way to backup this tree is to copy the entire VM folder to a new location.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 pm

That is, shutdown VM and use copy functionality under Files tab in Veeam Backup & Replication.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

[MERGED] Backing up VM's containing snapshots

Veeam Logoby dfernandez » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:02 am

Hi,

I have a query regarding backing up VM's that contain snapshots. I do not have a test environment to check this, hence the post. I have a VM with a few snapshots that I need to preserve by backing them up using Veeam and storing them on tape. When Veeam backups up such a VM, does it preserve the snapshots as well or does it only backup the running state. I need to confirm this as there might be a requirement to restore the VM at a later date and revert back to some snapshots.

Thanks in advance
dfernandez
Novice

Full Name: Dominic Fernandez

Re: Backing up VM's containing snapshots

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:15 am

Only the current running state is backed up.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

[MERGED] What happens if a VM has an existing snapshot?

Veeam Logoby emtunc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:37 pm

What does Veeam do if there is an existing snapshot on a VM ? Assuming two possible scenarios; an incremental and an active full.
emtunc
Novice

Full Name: Mikail Tunç

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:49 pm

In addition to the above, in case of existing snapshots, CBT could sometimes not work for VMs that have one or more snapshots before backup start (VMware limitation). Before running backup and replication jobs, it is recommended to delete VM snapshots, so that the job can enable CBT on all processed VMs. Inability to enable CBT results in the fact that Veeam B&R has to read the whole disks to verify those blocks that need to be processed.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby emtunc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:55 pm

foggy wrote:In addition to the above, in case of existing snapshots, CBT could sometimes not work for VMs that have one or more snapshots before backup start (VMware limitation). Before running backup and replication jobs, it is recommended to delete VM snapshots, so that the job can enable CBT on all processed VMs. Inability to enable CBT results in the fact that Veeam B&R has to read the whole disks to verify those blocks that need to be processed.

Hmm okay so it sounds like backups for that particular VM could get corrupted if a snapshot exists? Is there a way to disable CBT per VM? Looks like there's a way to do it for a specific job but not by VM. I am happy to use PowerShell if it means I can disable CBT for a VM.
emtunc
Novice

Full Name: Mikail Tunç

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:02 pm

emtunc wrote:Hmm okay so it sounds like backups for that particular VM could get corrupted if a snapshot exists?

No, it does not sound like that. You are able to successfully backup VMs with snapshots, however this could take longer time due to inability to use CBT. No need to disable CBT, it will be used in case it is enabled, otherwise our proprietary algorithm will be used to calculate blocks that should be transferred.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Additionally, even by the means of PowerShell CBT can be enabled/disabled on the job level only.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] Can Veeam backup VMware snapshot ?

Veeam Logoby leiw » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 am

Hello,

Is it can include or exclude VMware snapshots during the setting ?

Thanks
leiw
Expert

[MERGED] Snapshot (Replication Job)

Veeam Logoby JohnnyJungle » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi,

I can use Veeam to replicate VM's from one DC to another, but it is not replicating the VM's snapshot.

I know Veeam is taking a new snapshot, which it then replicates - the problem is the VM has a number snapshots which I want to replicate as well. Will I just have to revert the VM to that snapshot and then replicate it, so creating more VM's at the other DC

Cheers

JohnnyJungle
JohnnyJungle
Novice

Full Name: John Stephens

Re: Snapshot (Replication Job)

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi, John, the only way to preserve VM snaphshots I can think of is to use File Copy Job in order to copy all VM files, including snapshots. Once copied, these files can be registered at the target site.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] how replicate vm with all snapshots ?

Veeam Logoby baber » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi.

i have use veeam backup & replication 7 now i create a snapshot from my virtual machine but when i replicate my virtual machine on the other host my snapshot that i have been created previously not replicated with machine on new host now what do i have to do ? this problem has been solved in new veeam backup and replicatete 8 ?

now what do i have to do ?
how can i replicate my virtual machine with all of my snapshots? because when i click on snapshot manager it just show 1 snapshot that has been created when vm is replicate
baber
Enthusiast

Full Name: Babak Saedi nejad

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:41 pm

vStorage API does not support replication of snapshots, so you should be using other Veeam jobs (mentioned in this thread) to replicate this data. Out of curiosity, why do you keep these snapshots on your production VMs?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication