Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

How to choose transport mode for restore

Post by verre »

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there is the possibility to choose the transport mode for restore. For example if I use Direct San Access Mode for backup and then I want to use network mode for restore, where can I set this option?
Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How to choose transport mode for restore

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Transport mode during restore is selected automatically based on the configuration of the available backup proxy and transport mode limitations. So you cannot specify the particular transport mode to be used for restore operations, but you can control it by selecting the specific proxy servers capable of this or that mode while configuring the restore.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 2 people like this post

Technically there are situations where you can select and use at least SAN restores, if you are restoring entire vmdks (so entire VM or entire vmdk options) and you restore them as thick volumes. Other then these, yes hotadd or network mode are automatically selected based on the proxy capabilities.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please tell me why do you need this option during restores?
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

Subject: How to choose transport mode for restore
foggy wrote:.....you can control it by selecting the specific proxy servers capable of this or that mode while configuring the restore.
Really? I can't find this option. So, I can select which proxy to use when I make a restore?
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Can you please tell me why do you need this option during restores?
You are right Vitaliy, actually there aren't significant scenarios in which one transport mode should be chosen rather then another one... it was just a curiosity.
As I have understood (thanks dellock) if I have a Direct San proxy and a Hot Add proxy, it could be used the former if I choose to restore the vmdk as thick, and the latter if I choose thin... right?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

verre wrote:As I have understood (thanks dellock) if I have a Direct San proxy and a Hot Add proxy, it could be used the former if I choose to restore the vmdk as thick, and the latter if I choose thin... right?
Correct, direct SAN more restore is used for thick disks only.
verre wrote:Really? I can't find this option. So, I can select which proxy to use when I make a restore?
Yes, you can > VEEAM chooses wrong Proxy when doing a Restore Job. Here is a way to find it in the UI > Select Restore Mode
chjones
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Chris Jones

Post by chjones »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Can you please tell me why do you need this option during restores?
I have a very valid reason for wanting to be able to choose the restore mode to use. All my proxies are physical servers connected to my SAN and HP 3PAR using Storage Snapshots for very fast backups. However, performing VM restores to the 3PAR using SAN mode are incredibly slow (down to around 12MB/sec from 150+MB/sec using network mode). I have a support case open about this and the Veeam Engineer has opened a case with VMware and VMware have mostly confirmed this is a problem with VM Restores via SAN being THICK LAZY instead THICK EAGER, which is what all of our VMs are.

We've done plenty of tests using the VDDK libraries and have confirmed the results. At the moment the only way for me to get a fast restore speed is to use Network Mode, which means I have to unpresent any volumes from the 3PAR from one of my proxies and pick that proxy to use for the restore, or I have to edit the Proxy in Veeam and select it as only being capable of Network Mode. These both work. However, sometimes I've then had a backups start and try to use this proxy, which then removes the storage snapshot integration capability.

Being able to choose the restore mode would be a valuable option in my case. If it defaults to automatic like Veeam does anyway, great, but it would be great to have the option to control if it we need to.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yep, under these conditions, the suggestion looks reasonable. We are, however, performing some research regarding restoration of thick disks, based on your other threads on this issue.