Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Alwin
Novice
Liked: 1 time

How to delete a single restore Point

Post by Alwin »

Hi,

may you have a hint, how to delete some restore points without to delete all the restore points for the specific vm.

Thanks a lot
regards
Alwin
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: How to delete a single restore Point

Post by Gostev »

Hi Alwin, you cannot delete random restore points for the job, because this will be breaking incremental chain and will make restores from dependent restore points impossible. You can only delete restore points going from oldest and up, and again, you need to be deleting only restore points in sequence - not just specific ones. Thanks!
Alwin
Novice

Post by Alwin »

Hi Gostev,
OK, it makes sens, but where i have to delete the oldest restore point? Is there a button or do i have to delete the oldest restore point by CLI?

thx
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi, you just delete the corresponding backup file in the location you have pointed your backup job to. Also manual backup file management is not recommended as this causes inconsistencies between Veeam Backup configuration database and actual backup files. Recommended approach is to let Veeam Backup handle retention and delete older backup files automatically. Thanks!
Alwin
Novice

Post by Alwin »

Well, there is a bug in this procedure ! Do you have any hints to solve this ignorant behavior to the settings of max. number of restore points?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

There is are no bugs, you just need to remove deleted VMs from backup as explained in this topic > "Restore points to keep" being ignored?
Alwin
Novice

Post by Alwin »

OK, i will investigate if that`s the reason why...keep in touch

thank you
Alwin
Novice

Post by Alwin »

i`m back. there is no guess. The jobs were made after the upgrade procedure from 4.x to 5.0. and all the VMs are still in use. May i send you some screen shots about the job and you can figure out if there is a misconfiguration?

thx
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please contact our support directly for assistance with any technical issues requiring investigation. This is not a support forum, as explained when you click New Topic.

Keep in mind though that with incremental backup, number of restore points on disk will always be greater than number of rollbacks set in retention policy, due to the nature of incremental backup (incremental restore points depend on earlier incremental and full backups). So, previous backup chain (full+increments) will only be removed when last incremental is no longer required to restore from according to your retention policy. I have explained this in more details and with example earlier in this topic, please review.

Thanks!