Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

How to install virtual appliance for backup proxy?

Post by zoltank »

Our Veeam B&R server is on the same subnet as the VMWare hosts. However, our Veeam server is a physical server and not in the virtual environment. We are running ESX 4.1.

I'm trying to find out how to install the virtual appliance in the VMWare environment so I can use it as the backup proxy for the physical Veeam server. Unfortunately the Veeam user manual does not discuss how to do this.

Could someone please help me out on how to install the virtual appliance and then configure my physical Veeam B&R server to use it?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to install virtual appliance for backup proxy?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Actually there is nothing special about that. You need to deploy a virtual Windows server, or reuse existing one to deploy a backup proxy on this virtual server.
Please take a look at the User Guide (page 84) for the instructions showing how to add backup proxy to the backup console. Hope this helps!
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby »

Hello,

As Vitaliy S. suggested, you can use an existing VM that's capable of handling the workload.... Then;

1. Add the server to Veeam Console.
2. Go to Infrastructure -> Backup Proxies at the Top -> Right Click on it and Add VMware Backup Proxy.
3. Choose Existing Server the one which you have added it in Step 1.
4. Once it's added, Right Click on the Server and you can choose the Transport Mode: as Virtual Appliance and leave everything as default..
5. In the Backup Job Configuration, either you have to leave the Backup Proxy: as Automatic Selection or you can force the job to select a specific proxy you setup.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
Please have a look on this blog; Configuring Veeam 6 – Backup Proxies

http://www.interworks.com/blogs/ijahans ... job-vmware