Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SvenConrad
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sven Conrad

How to restore Oracle Logfiles?

Post by SvenConrad »

Hello,

a few weeks ago I started to include the Oracle database of one of our SAP developement systems in the Veeam bacup. So far we backed up the Oracle Database and its logfiles using brbackup (SAP).
I configured a daily Incremental, weekly full and Log backup every 15 minutes. Logs older than 24h are deleted after the Full/inc backup:

Everything is going well so far. VSS is working flawlessly, the backup is fast and relyable. Haven't tested a restore yet, but will soon.

My only Problem so far: How the hell can I get the logs back? I can see that .vlb files are created regulary:

I guess I would be able to restore the database to any point covered by the logs using Veeam in case of trouble. But what if I needed a log for another purpose, like a database recovery? Is there any way to get the logs back as a file? This would really put my mind at rest...
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: How to restore Oracle Logfiles?

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Sven,

You should use File-Level Restore to obtain a log as a file from the VM backup. Thanks!
SvenConrad
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sven Conrad

Post by SvenConrad »

Alright, thank you. I already feared that this would be the answer. Guess I'll activate Guest file indexing and maybe I'll keep the logs a bit longer than 24h on the Server and this might suffice.
Maybe I'll deactivate the Redo Log backup in Veeam instead and return to BRbackup for the Logs. But that would mean a bit of manual Oracle-aftermath if restoring a complete database to the last available point...

You can see this as a feature request: A dialog that lists all log files that have been collected by a Redo Log Backup job and gives you the possibility to restore them as a file.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Sven,

Please keep in mind FLR allows you to get log files from the daily restore points, not from the truncated every 15 minutes transaction logs.
So, if you want to restore logs as files from the 15 minutes transaction logs, it's not possible. Thanks!