Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AndyNorden
Novice
Liked: 2 times

How to show Backup-Restore-Points from "Rotated drives" after rotating the drives in Veeam B&R?

Post by AndyNorden »

Hello,

I have set up a new "Backup Copy"-job, which copies a "VMware Backup"-job. I have marked the repository for this as "Rotated drives", where are currently 2 external USB hard drives that changes on a weekly basis.
This works great so far, great feature. However, I can't see the restore points on the USB hard drive after change them. After I swapped the hard drives, Veeam B&R still shows me the restore points of the hard drive to which a backup was last written. Only when I save a new incremental restore point to the connected hard drive I can see all the restore points on that hard drive.

My question now is: How can I see and access the existing restore points on a hard drive without first writing a current restore point to the hard drive?

Thank you and best regards
Andreas
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How to show Backup-Restore-Points from "Rotated drives" after rotating the drives in Veeam B&R?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Andreas

Rotated disks can not be scanned. We show the most recent active backup copy chain. Which is on the last disk you had connected.
When you run a new backup copy job, the most recent restore point gets linked to the backup chain on the currently connected disk. Which makes this chain the active chain. And it come available for restore.

In a DR scenario, you can just connect your disk and import the backups for a restore. Daily restore from rotated disks should not be the normal approach.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AndyNorden
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Re: How to show Backup-Restore-Points from "Rotated drives" after rotating the drives in Veeam B&R?

Post by AndyNorden »

Hi Fabian,

thank you for your answer!
Ok, when everything is right so far, it's not a problem for me. You are right, we hopefully never will be in the situation to restore from a rotated disk... ;)

Best regards
Andreas