Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dwrice0
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Re: How to speed up guest file indexing?

Post by dwrice0 » Mar 20, 2018 12:39 am 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the update. I'll open a support case but was curious if there was an easy way to determine if the old SID issue is my problem? This is a brand new file server. However, the files were copied from an old file server using emcopy from EMC with the option passed on the command line to maintain security information from source to destination. So it wouldn't surprise me if the old SID info followed the files from the old server to the new. I just don't know the low level details about NTFS to make the determination. I want to be able to provide as much info up front to support.

adrenaline_x
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Fuller

Post by adrenaline_x » Aug 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Lucky for all of you.

Currently the indexing on our 2008 r2 file server with 8 tbs.

Indexing is taking over 24 hours. Support is blaming our Datadomain 6300 as the cause but seeing as its indexing within the VM how could this be.

Mgamerz
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by Mgamerz » Aug 24, 2018 8:55 pm

I just turned it off on our primary file server. With ~20TB of data and on-server data deduplication (windows dedupe) it would backup in like 15 mins (incremental) but take almost 3 hours to index. I don't use enterprise manager or the web ui's so it didn't really provide any benefit for me.

TimWalker
Novice
Full Name: Tim Walker

Post by TimWalker » Aug 25, 2018 12:08 pm

So, I've discovered a potential cause/resolution... which is fairly obvious if you look at the server in question using resource monitor.

The VeeamGuestIndexer.exe process runs at a 'background' IO priority, which is the very lowest possible. This is all well and good if you don't want to disrupt a live server, but if you want your backups to finish gracefully overnight it isn't so good!

In particular, we're using server 2012 r2 with deduplication turned on for our file server, the deduplication is set to the 'background' option for the volumes concerned (rather than running on a schedule) and it is completely crowding out the guest indexer, because it is running at 'Normal' IO priority!

Seems like a bit of a mistake by Microsoft to be honest!

Microsoft don't provide an easy way to change the IO priority of a process (changing the priority in task manager doesn't make any difference) I found a command line tool that will let you change it (and so potentially script the change) - https://sourceforge.net/projects/iopriority/

Command line is as follows:
IOPriorityV1.1.exe VeeamGuestIndexer 2

(the number is the priority - 0 is background, 1 is low, 2 is normal)

I've run that and I can see from resource monitor that the indexing is going much quicker. I suppose I could turn down the priority of the FSRM dedup job but would prefer not to muck around with core OS stuff.

Process hacker will apparently also let you change IO priority and has a nice GUI inspired by process explorer - https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/

Veeam, any chance of tweaking the way the indexer works or letting us set the priority per job?

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3257 times

Post by Gostev » Aug 25, 2018 3:23 pm

Yes, we reduced the priority of this process back a few versions ago due to actual impact on production workloads. May be we should provide a registry key to allow tweaking it.

realsuperskye
Veeam Software
Full Name: Caitlin Pack

Post by realsuperskye » Sep 07, 2018 4:15 pm

There is actually already a registry key to change the Windows Priority Level used for Veeam indexing.

Gostev, would you like me to share this registry key setting?

adrenaline_x
Novice
Full Name: Mike Fuller

Post by adrenaline_x » Sep 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Name: VeeamGuestIndexerPriority
Type: REG_SZ
Default value: BACKGROUND
Description: Sets process priority for indexing process.
Available values: BACKGROUND, ABOVE_NORMAL, BELOW_NORMAL, HIGH, IDLE, NORMAL, REALTIME

But this did not change anything for us. indexing still runs 13 - 30 hours.

You can also open task manager while the indexing is running and assign it a higher priority, but it did not change anything. I'm thinking it the number of files/speed of the vmdks.

Its fustrating at this point at our Enviroment is rather robost with the host in a blade chasis with dual 40GBe links to the core switch stack with the Datadomains attached to the same switch with Dual 10Gbe links. I know the datadomains are slow to restore from, but indexing is not touching those, and our backup jobs are transferring at 300 Mb/s with Individual Vmdks backing up at 60-100Mb/s.

bertdhont
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bert D'hont

Post by bertdhont » Feb 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Do you add that key to the Veeam B&R Server or on the host you are indexing?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1483 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm

On the backup server (with further service restart).