Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
Dave-Departed
Expert
Liked: 6 times

How to split up a backup job into separate jobs?

Post by Dave-Departed » Nov 08, 2012 9:05 am

Hi All,

We initially created an all-encompassing backup job for our Exchange servers, which contained all servers, but now we'd like to break this down for granularity.

Could anyone tell me if it's possible to do this, and somehow still retain the restore points from each VM in the job, please?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
Liked: 1306 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to split up a backup job into separate jobs?

Post by Vitaliy S. » Nov 08, 2012 9:27 am

Hi Dave,

The only way to accomplish it is to re-use existing backup file with multiple jobs (use backup mapping feature), no other way to split one file into separate ones. If you re-use this file with multiple jobs, VMs that are no longer present in the backup job will age out according to the "Deleted VMs" retention policy settings and your backup file will decrease in size after you schedule the active full backup.

Thanks!

Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed » Nov 08, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks Vitaly,

So I could just create 3 x new backup jobs, and map each to the existing combined backup file, then carry on like that? And each VM that is added from the new job will be treated as a 'new' VM, correct? And the old restore points will eventually time out via 'Deleted VMs' settings... Ok, I understand.

Or... Couldn't I just create new separate jobs for each VM, and then remove those VMs from the original job? That way, they would remain as per the 'Deleted VMs' setting in the old job, and restore points would begin from today for the new jobs, if both 'Restore points' and 'Deleted VMs' settings are the same value, that should cover it?

Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
Liked: 1306 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Nov 08, 2012 10:18 am

Dave-Departed wrote:So I could just create 3 x new backup jobs, and map each to the existing combined backup file, then carry on like that?
Yes, but the existing combined file should be copied three times to match the number of backup jobs. Each job should have its own backup file.
Dave-Departed wrote:Or... Couldn't I just create new separate jobs for each VM, and then remove those VMs from the original job? That way, they would remain as per the 'Deleted VMs' setting in the old job, and restore points would begin from today for the new jobs, if both 'Restore points' and 'Deleted VMs' settings are the same value, that should cover it?
Correct.

Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed » Nov 08, 2012 10:30 am

Excellent. Many thanks, Vitaly!

And just to be sure, the correct way to remove a VM from a backup (and initiate the 'Deleted VMs' retention settings for that VM) is to go into the properties of the job, and into the Virtual Machines tab, select the machine you want to remove, and then click the 'Remove' button?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1399 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Nov 08, 2012 10:49 am

Dave-Departed wrote:And just to be sure, the correct way to remove a VM from a backup (and initiate the 'Deleted VMs' retention settings for that VM) is to go into the properties of the job, and into the Virtual Machines tab, select the machine you want to remove, and then click the 'Remove' button?
Correct.

dbirnseth
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dan Birnseth

[MERGED] Changing Replication Jobs

Post by dbirnseth » Apr 18, 2013 4:30 pm

I presently have a replication job containing 8 VMs. I'd like to move 2 of the VMs to a different replication job that can run on a more frequent schedule. What is the best method of doing this without losing my restore points or taking disproportionate amount of time to re-digest.

My environment has two SANs (I'm replicating from one to the other). My Veeam server is physical and I don't have any other proxies deployed.

Thank you!

marius roma
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mario

[MERGED] Splitting an incremental backup job

Post by marius roma » Nov 30, 2013 6:08 pm

I have an incremental backup job that manages a large number of VM.
I want to split the job in 2 jobs, each one managing half of the VMs.
Based on my experience, if I create a new job for half of the VMs a full backup is performed for all the VMs managed by the new job the first time the new job is executed.
Is there any way to tell the new job going on using the backup created by the original job?
Regards
Marius

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Dec 02, 2013 9:29 am

Mario, yes, you can map the newly created job to the existing backup, please review the answers above. Thanks.

pinkerton
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Split one job in multiple jobs with different resto

Post by pinkerton » Jan 28, 2014 10:54 am

Dear Community,

we are running Veeam VBR 7.0R2 with vSphere 5.1 and are now facing the issue that our backup storage runs out of capacity. Currently we are backing up all VMs in one Job to one repository. Instead of purchasing additional storage we think about reducing Restore Points to make backup files smaller. Since the Retention Policy / amount of Restore Points is tied to the Job this means we need to split the existing Jobs into multiple Jobs with different Retention Policy Settings.

However, if I'm informed correctly Veeam uses per-Job Deduplication and Splitting one Job into multiple ones means that it is likely to loose the benefits of Deduplication, which means the backup size will increase. Is that correct?

Another question: Is it possible to use the existing backups in the current backup repository for the new Jobs so that no full backup for VMs that exist in the repository is necessary? Do I have to use the "map backup" Option for this?

Thanks
Michael

foggy
Veeam Software

Re: [MERGED] Split one job in multiple jobs with different r

Post by foggy » Jan 28, 2014 11:01 am

pinkerton wrote:However, if I'm informed correctly Veeam uses per-Job Deduplication and Splitting one Job into multiple ones means that it is likely to loose the benefits of Deduplication, which means the backup size will increase. Is that correct?
You will lose a bit in space, since deduplication is performed within a job, not between backup files produced by different job.
pinkerton wrote:Another question: Is it possible to use the existing backups in the current backup repository for the new Jobs so that no full backup for VMs that exist in the repository is necessary? Do I have to use the "map backup" Option for this?
Correct, please see the topic above for details.

pinkerton
Enthusiast

Post by pinkerton » Jan 28, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks. But reading the Information above states that each Job should have its own backup file. Would this mean, to follow the recommendation, to create a new backup repository for each new Job and copy the files from the exiting repository to it? This would mean that initially I Need three times the space of the current repository as the files will only shrink once the Deleted VMs period kicks in.

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Jan 28, 2014 11:50 am

Correct. Unless your concern is transferred traffic, you'd probably better perform an active full for all the new jobs as this would take time comparable to mapping the jobs to existing backups.

pinkerton
Enthusiast

Post by pinkerton » Jan 28, 2014 12:14 pm

I guess you mean that the time for active fulls might be the same as for the Digest calculation when using mapping the Job to the existing backup?

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Jan 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Correct.