Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
garymansell
Enthusiast
Liked: never

How will Veeam Backup cope with a running Veeam Replication

Post by garymansell »

Hi,

I have a large (12TB) Business Critical Application VM that I backup every night with Veeam and now I want to also replicate it every hour to a remote site using Veeam Replication.

I am going to configure the Veeam Replication job to use the existing Veeam Backup VM as the seed to replicate the majority of the VM data.

From testing, it will take about 4 days to replicate the VM to the remote site, so this will (presumably) block the Veeam Backup from running for about 4 days - is my understanding correct?

Will using the Backup as a seed for the initial replication reduce the amount of time the Replication job needs to have control of the PROD VM and hence lessen the impact on the Backup?

Can I be sure that there will be no ill effects from the replication interfering with the backup job and the Application VM will run happily throughout and also that the Backup will then sort itself out automatically and recommence on it's normal schedule once the replication completes?

Thanks

Gary
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: How will Veeam Backup cope with a running Veeam Replicat

Post by veremin »

From testing, it will take about 4 days to replicate the VM to the remote site, so this will (presumably) block the Veeam Backup from running for about 4 days - is my understanding correct?
Correct.
Will using the Backup as a seed for the initial replication reduce the amount of time the Replication job needs to have control of the PROD VM and hence lessen the impact on the Backup?
Production VMs should not be touched at all, as backup files will be playing role of the so-called "replication source".
Can I be sure that there will be no ill effects from the replication interfering with the backup job and the Application VM will run happily throughout and also that the Backup will then sort itself out automatically and recommence on it's normal schedule once the replication completes?
Yes, you can be sure.

Thanks.
garymansell
Enthusiast

Post by garymansell »

Thanks so much for your response, I have one further query if I may about your respons?

"Production VMs should not be touched at all, as backup files will be playing role of the so-called "replication source".

Does the Replication job create a Snapshot on the running PROD VM before and during the period of seeding the replica from the backup (and hence perhaps slightly impinge on the performance of the PROD VM), or is the replication snapshot only created on the PROD VM after the seeding from backup has completed whilst the final Replication is done to bring the Replica in sync with PROD?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Or is the replication snapshot only created on the PROD VM after the seeding from backup has completed whilst the final Replication is done to bring the Replica in sync with PROD?
This. Thanks.
garymansell
Enthusiast

Post by garymansell »

Thanks for getting back to me on this, maybe I have miss-understood this process...

I don't have Veeam at my Replica site, I have Veeam at my Production site and do local backups with it and then in addition will use this Veeam instance to "push" the replica copy to the Replica site.

Will I still be able to do this and seed the replica from the backup of the PROD vm that is located at the PROD site?

The reason for using the seed backup at the local site rather than just replicating the PROD server itself in it's entirety was to reduce the performance hit against the PROD VM whilst it is being replicated
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Will I still be able to do this and seed the replica from the backup of the PROD vm that is located at the PROD site?
Correct. This is the exact scenario illustrated in the referenced portion of our User Guide. Thanks.