Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jprusch
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Philipp Rusch

howto forcefully remove an extent from scale-out repo

Post by jprusch »

Hello,
we lost a drive with one of two extents of a scale-out repository.
So we have D:\backups on the Backupserver itself which is fine, and we had E:\backups, which is gone. I cannot find a way to remove the second extent from the configuration. Or to remove the Backup Repository 2 which points to E:\backups. We replaced and added disks and have doubled the size for D:\, so we wouldn't need a scale-out repo anymore.
Shall I open a support case for this?
Regards,
Philipp
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: howto forcefully remove an extent from scale-out repo

Post by wishr »

Hi Philipp,

For such questions, you do not have to raise a support case in order for your post to be retained since it's a use-case question and not some sort of technical issue that requires debug logs analysis to be performed. While our support engineers are also able to resolve such situations and you may work with them directly on such difficulties, it's allowed to ask questions on use-cases here on the forums.

Please give a try to this procedure and then that one and let us know how it goes.

Thanks
jprusch
Novice

Post by jprusch »

I tried both ways before posting here.
1.) When trying the first link, that is to remove the scale-out repo completely, I am told that there are jobs still using ths repository. Of course! And I don't have additional space to move these files to another location, so that I would be able to redefine the repo those jobs use. Hmmm. So I am stuck.
2.) I don't get that right click menu that's shown in that link: "Remove" is missing. But I am able to mark that repo's name and press "Del". Then I get a lenghty error message: "Microsoft SQL server is currently unavailable ... blablabla The statement has been terminated."

I could document my settings of the backupjobs and throw them away, delete everything and start from new, but there must be a better way that preserves the data.
Completely stuck here.
- Philipp
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Philipp,

As mentioned in the documentation you should make sure there are no jobs targeting SOBR prior to removal, so you need to modify your jobs. No need to move the files, just point the jobs to a "fake" repository with the original backup folder containing backup files, remove SOBR, then revert the change back and map the jobs to the original repostory. Once done you'll be able to perform the removal of E:\.

Thanks
jprusch
Novice

Post by jprusch »

Hello Fedor,
that's not true. When I point my job to another repository, it scans for backup files, then tells me "Move all backup files to the new location first." For me it has always been like that.
Sao I am asking here, how to do it, how to avoid moving files.
Thank you.
- Philipp
jprusch
Novice

Post by jprusch » 1 person likes this post

OK, I managed this by defining a "fake" defintion of a backup repo to the same folder which already contains the backup-files. Switched the jobs accordingly and could remove the scale-out repo, then.
After that I removed the second extent from the SOBR (the missing drive E:) and moved the jobs backup to the remaining repo on drive D:
Everything is fine now, backups are running again.
Have a nice X-mas everybody.
- Philipp
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Philipp,

Thank you for the update! Glad to see you've managed to get it sorted. I've modified my previous post to not cause any confusion for future readers.

Merry Christmas!