Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Howto restore SQL Table Veeam8

Post by Delo123 »

i was hoping the new SQl Explorer could also restore Tables, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
What must i do to get "the old" SQL U-Air restore? When i start the Application restore wizward i do not seem to get into "the old" SQl Recovery where i can chose my lab etc...

Maybe it's just to early this monday morning :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Howto restore SQL Table Veeam8

Post by veremin »

In order to utilize old U-AIR you should select required VM in "Backups" node -> select "Application Items" located on ribbon -> Other (U-AIR). Thanks.
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

Hmm, yes the recovery session will start my dc and sql server.
But that's it. I cannot right click the VM and choose sql recovery (were you could get into the restore table wizard)... Has support for this been dropped?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Guido, support for all application-specific AIR wizards is discontinued with v8 release. To restore a specific table, you can use U-AIR Wizard in conjunction with native tools (SQL Management Studio).
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

Oh... i guess that's (200+ new features)-1 than...

I guess we will stick with instant recovery in that case, will be much quicker i guess.
Any valid Reason for this? You are kinda forcing dba's to be present all the time opposed to V7...
or our backup Administrator needs to learn sql now...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Just to correct Alexander, AIR wizards are not completely discontinued, but rather just not marketed. We will still provide v8-compatible AIR wizard through support to study the real interest in their functionality, and to understand what essential capabilities Veeam Explorers are missing.

Specifically to SQL AIR, it was the least used AIR wizards among all, as most people were looking for point-in-time databases restores instead.

So, any details on your use cases around SQL recoveries will be helpful for us to know, so that we could enhance Veeam Explorer for SQL Server based on that feedback before we completely discontinue AIR wizards (most likely, in v9).
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

Hi Gostev,

Actually we would like to recover SQL Tables instead of SQl Databases. As SQl Databases "usually" are quite big, it's rarely an option to restore the entire database,
and if one would require restoring the entire database, one could just as easily restore the entire vm (or do an instant recovery for those who dare:)) as the OS shouldn't matter much from a restore point of view...

Anyway, restoring tables without air requires one to use native sql tools and also to manually restore to some reachable network location opposed to SQL Air Wizard where this is kind of automated...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As mentioned above, you can get a v8-compatible SQL AIR wizard by opening a ticket with our support team. This will help us to identify real user demand for the specific functionality that is currently missing in SQL Explorer. Thanks.
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Sorry, i misread the words "through support".... will open a ticket, thx!
Must be too early for me today...
trivin
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Triss

[MERGED] : V8 - SureBackup and Exchange 2007 restore

Post by trivin »

Hi all,

We had version 7 with surebackup enabled for AIR of Exchange 2007. This worked perfect.
Now I am testing version 8, I can do a surebackup, but the option to restore exchange 2007 is gone?
When you right click on the running surebackup job, and choose Statistics, the only option is Start, and this is greyout.

So is the option to restore from Exchange 2007 with universal restore is gone?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Triss,

You are right, starting from v8 Veeam doesn`t market AIR wizards in favor of Veeam Explorer.
However, you can get a v8-compatible application-specific AIR wizard contacting Veeam Support Team or using this link.
If you want to use Veeam Explorer for Exchange, you need to update to a newer version of Microsoft Exchange Server, since Exchange 2007 is not supported.

Thanks.
trivin
Lurker
Full Name: Triss

Post by trivin »

Thanks for your reply Shestakov. I will demand a v8 compatible SQL AIR wizard.
But for our other servers, we will stick with version 7 then. Upgrading a new Exchange version is not an option.
I am suprised, so many new options, and they disable this option.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome.
BTW, the reason why Veeam Explorer for Exchange does not support Exchange 2007 is explained here.
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

I think he means discarding the wizards, not dropping support for 2007... :)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Guido, as was explained above, now Veeam provides application-specific Veeam Explorers which are faster and U-AIR (Universal Application-Item Recovery) for Item level recovery.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: [MERGED] : V8 - SureBackup and Exchange 2007 restore

Post by tsightler »

trivin wrote:So is the option to restore from Exchange 2007 with universal restore is gone?
As mentioned above, you can still contact support to get access to older U-AIR wizards for Exchange 2007 and SQL table restores that will work with v8.
matt_a
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: M Albus

Post by matt_a »

I'd like to say, that after over a week of back and forth emails with support, (yes I have a ticket) I've been unable to get the elusive V8 exchange air wizard. I have exchange 2007. Yes I know I could use the U-air, but that is nowhere near the same thing. I had this working with version 7 before I upgraded.
They've even gone so far as to tell me, they don't have it, and v7 air wizards should work fine anyway. (they don't)
I've told them about this thread, but it doesn't seem to matter.
Matt
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Matt, what is your support case ID, please?
matt_a
Novice

Post by matt_a »

Case ID is 00689069
DenisK
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by DenisK »

matt_a wrote: I'd like to say, that after over a week of back and forth emails with support, (yes I have a ticket) I've been unable to get the elusive V8 exchange air wizard. I have exchange 2007. Yes I know I could use the U-air, but that is nowhere near the same thing. I had this working with version 7 before I upgraded.
They've even gone so far as to tell me, they don't have it, and v7 air wizards should work fine anyway. (they don't)
I've told them about this thread, but it doesn't seem to matter.
Matt
Put me in the bandwagon where I need this to work also. I honestly didn't see any documentation on this until I started testing restoring items from Exchange 2007. Need to know if this gets resolved, because, if not, I now have to rip out version 8 and redo all my backups from scratch.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I will ask support management to pay attention to this case, thanks.
matt_a
Novice

Post by matt_a » 1 person likes this post

Just to update my situation, hope this helps someone else.
Although support still deny having a version 8 exchange air wizard, they did provide me with a work around.
Seems although I could not install the version 7 exchange air wizard on my server, I was able to install v7 of the exchange air wizard on a stand alone workstation.
When I tried to use it, the virtual lab manager would not connect to the enterprise manager, just as here: http://www.veeam.com/kb1185
When I showed them that kb, they stated that that applies only to the gui, and not if I launch the exchange air wizard from the command line with /admin option.
My final workaround involved:
1) Creating a surebackup job , giving the proxy appliance a static IP on the production network.
2) starting the surebackup job manually on the v8 server, leaving the virtual lab machines running after.
3) adding a route on a standalone workstation to the virtual lab's static ip to allow direct access to the virtual lab's masqueraded network.
4) installing the v7 wizard on that workstation, and launching the v7 exchange air wizard from the command line with /admin option.
5) then the air wizard will give you the ability to specify the IP address of the backup CAS server, avoiding the need to launch the virtual lab manager.
Matt
DenisK
Influencer

Post by DenisK »

Thanks, I may try that. I used to just launch my lab with the VMs kept running, and then just right-click to launch the wizard. That definitely doesn't work in v8. I did see after installing the v7 wizard that you'll see an Exchange option when launching the Virtual Lab Manager.

My MacGuyver approach right now is to fire up the test lab and then move a another running VM with Outlook installed. If I need access to another user's mailbox, I just add it via the EMC for the logged in account that has Outlook. Open up Outlook and export what I need to PST.

To get it, I have an RDP shortcut to the VM (any of them, but tend to use one and reuse the RDP shortcut), and just grab the PST. From there, import and move it where it needs to go.

Stupid, I know, but just trying to get around the crippling of this feature. I'd be on 2010 or something higher, but just had the licenses for Exchange 2007 when I moved us off 2003. I used the saving for things like Veeam. :)
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Ben Milligan here with Veeam Support. We apologize for the confusion! We are certainly able to provide these wizards and I am sorry for the runaround experienced.

Matt - you should be receiving this via your case currently.
DenisK
Influencer

Post by DenisK »

Ben Milligan wrote:Ben Milligan here with Veeam Support. We apologize for the confusion! We are certainly able to provide these wizards and I am sorry for the runaround experienced.

Ben, thanks for jumping in. I believe Matt is correct in that there are NO v8 Exchange U-AIR wizards. He noted the workaround given to him by support of installing the v7 Exchange U-AIR wizard. While that will install fine, we are no longer able to start-up a lab with consistently running VMs (like a DC and Exchange 2007) and launch the wizard using the Simple Method instead of having to create, launch, and approve Lab Requests like was available with Veeam B&R v7. Both he and I noted our alternative ways of getting this to work.

If you do in fact have specific v8 Exchange Wizards that would allow the same functionality, then definitely send them to me. My case is 00692921.
matt_a
Novice

Post by matt_a »

Ben Milligan wrote:Ben Milligan here with Veeam Support. We apologize for the confusion! We are certainly able to provide these wizards and I am sorry for the runaround experienced.

Hi Ben.
I did just receive them and tested.
Installs and works fine on same v8 B&R server.
It did not install on the workstation (just looks like the version is 64 bit, but that's ok)
Thank-you!!
DenisK
Influencer

Post by DenisK »

Very cool Matt. I need them now. :)
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Denis - yes, we have versions of U-AIR specifically for v8, builds 8.0.0.817. We'll be sure to provide this to you.
DenisK
Influencer

Post by DenisK »

Ben Milligan wrote:Denis - yes, we have versions of U-AIR specifically for v8, builds 8.0.0.817. We'll be sure to provide this to you.
Kudos to your support team. Your responses on this forum and another (Spiceworks) has been so quick.
ilkulik
Lurker
Full Name: Ilya Kulik

[MERGED] SQL Table restore to the same VM but with diferent

Post by ilkulik »

Good day, All
Initial data:
SQL Server with some databases.
User has asked to restore one table from SQL database but not in the same place. He wants to have table restored in the same database but with different name.
Does anybody know is it possible?