Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Choppie
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chop

HP EVA 4400 config

Post by Choppie »

Hi ,

I've searched through a number of posts to identify potential issues using VBR with an FC EVA 4400 (some people have stated that they are using VRB with an EVA4400 but not outlined the config in respect to LUN presentation :( )

My main concern is that the EVA cannot present LUN's in read-only format to the VBR server (eva cannot allow both RO & RW access just one or the other!)

So should I present as RW to VBR, I'm concern that in doing so if we experience issues on the VBR server corrupt could occur on our production VMFS volumes.

Any ideas?

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: HP EVA 4400 config

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ian,

You should present all the LUNs as read-only to your backup server, I'm pretty sure any SAN is able to do that, try to review your SAN configuration documentation for more information about that, as I haven't configured EVAs before. Besides, unfortunately I got lost with your further post:
Choppie wrote:eva cannot allow both RO & RW access just one or the other
Well... read-only permissions to the your source LUNs is all what you need to be able to pull the VM data in SAN job mode.

Thanks!
Choppie
Novice

Post by Choppie »

Hi Vitaliy,

Yes you would have thought RO presentation was standard, but as far as I can tell on the EVA it is an attribute of the vdisk not the presentation, so only RW can be set or RO not both on the same vdisk..
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Choppie wrote:should I present as RW to VBR, I'm concern that in doing so if we experience issues on the VBR server corrupt could occur on our production VMFS volumes.
Yes, just go ahead and do that. VBR does not have ability to do writes to source LUN anyway. Just be sure to disable automount on Veeam Backup server before mounting the LUN, so that Windows does not attempt to re-signature disks.

Some customers just feel safer by presenting LUN as read-only (when SAN allows for that). This is not a mandatory requirement though. And there are a number of SAN models out there which do not provide this capability, so HP EVA 4400 is not unique here.
Choppie
Novice

Post by Choppie »

Thanks Gostev! Will try it over the next couple of days.
eriktxstate
Influencer
Full Name: Erik Redding

Post by eriktxstate »

Just a sidenote - we're using this approach with SVSP-presented LUNs and it seems to be working out well.
Choppie
Novice

Post by Choppie »

Thanks eriktxstate.