Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CobusOlivier
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cobus Olivier

IBM Lotus Notes and Veeam

Post by CobusOlivier » 1 person likes this post

Good day,

I have done some research in our environment. We run a vmware environment with Lotus Notes as our mail servers, the Lotus Notes team runs weekly tasks that includes compacts on the mail file (*.NSF) this compact job touches all mail files and this creates a temp NSF files. This seems to change the CBT from 0 to changed and thus the veeam backup incremental sizes are then much larger than normal nightly backups.

We see a rate of change of between 7 - 15Gb per night and nights after the the Notes Team run the compacts we see incremental backup files between 150 - 250Gb. This then causes our backups to over run the backup windows.

Our Notes servers are set up with different drives for DOAS, Data, Logs and Rebuilds.

I would just like to know from other users of Veeam if they have seen similiar situations with Notes and Veeam.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: IBM Lotus Notes and Veeam

Post by foggy »

Hello, running maintenance tasks expectedly affects incremental backup size, since it typically causes a significant amount of changes to virtual disks. Among recommendations to decrease this effect is running them less frequently and/or prior the active full backup.
CobusOlivier
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cobus Olivier

Post by CobusOlivier »

Hi Foggy,

The maintenance tasks according to our Notes Administrators these tasks can't be run less frequently. We also runs reversed incremental and only do a active full once every three months.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, what you are seeing is totally expected for Lotus Notes and similar applications.
dkvello
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dag Kvello

Post by dkvello » 2 people like this post

As You do, I too run FT Rebuild, OS TEMP, Logs and other "temporary" i/o on separate disks that I exclude from Backup. This way no temporary changes gets included.

I use ODS 5:2 on pretty much everything an only run in-place (-b) compacts without size reduction.

If You use DBMT to do housecleaning/defrag then there is no option for in-place compact so it will create larger backups with Veeam.

Code: Select all

Create_R9_Log=1
CREATE_R9_DATABASES=1
NSF_UpdateODS=1
DAOS_ENCRYPT_NLO=0
[b]View_Rebuild_Dir=G:\REBUILD\
FTBasePath=E:\Full_Text
DAOSBasePath=D:\DAOS
TRANSLOG_Path=F:\[/b]
TRANSLOG_AutoFixup=1
TRANSLOG_UseAll=1
TRANSLOG_Style=0