Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BG-Lars
Lurker
Liked: never

Immediate copy with rotated drives

Post by BG-Lars »

Hello,

we want to use the new feature immediate copy but I don’t find much how this feature is working. We want to use it with rotated USB drives. Does it only copy new restore points after switching the USB drive or will there any problems with rotated drives?

With periodic copy and the interval of 1 day we have a problem with file health check which last around 25h and so one day the week has no backup copy on the USB drive (drives are switched weekly). That‘s the reason we want to use the new copy mode.

Regards,
Lars
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: Immediate copy with rotated drives

Post by Gostev »

Hello Lars, actually both copy modes behave the same as it comes to backup file health check. But I already requested to make a change to do the health check after the copy is done. Devs are looking now how hard it is. Thanks!
BG-Lars
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Immediate copy with rotated drives

Post by BG-Lars »

That may be true, but the new copy mode sounds like it will copy all availible restore points after the heatlth check. We only make one health check a week/drive, 2 days before switching the drive. Even with a 2 days health check there should be all restore points of the week on my drive with the new copy mode. The old copy mode just skips them, because it only copies the latest restore point.

Thats why i ask if anyone has tested it with rotated drives without problems. You need to make a new job for the new mode and thats why i'm asking. Just for a mode which is triggered by the main job you dont have to change the backupstructure (but they have done). But I dont find a good comparision between the 2 modes with pro and con's. Just a tiny part in the documentation.