Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marco_itsc
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Immutable backups and replicas (copy jobs)

Post by marco_itsc »

Hi everyone,

I have set up an immutable backup to one of my customers. I made it reusing one of his old proliants and installing centos on it, and then connecting a NAS via iSCSI. Everything is working well, no problem.
My customers asked me to make a replica of this NAS.
He has already a full backup strategy with a normal backup job to a NAS, a replica to another NAS, a cloud backup etc.
Also, he has a replication working..
My consideration is: does it make sense to make a replica of an immutable backup?
Since it's immutable, the only thing the can go wrong is that the storage (NAS) might die. But other than that i don't see the need to make another replica, since he's already "protected" by the "normal" backup strategy.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Marco
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Immutable backups and replicas (copy jobs)

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

In general, I think it always makes sense to have a copy of backups to follow 3-2-1 rule. The Immutability feature addresses a different issue than the backup copy: it protects backup files from loss as a result of malware activity or unplanned actions, it's an additional protection layer for your primary backups. But if production data including primary backups are destroyed, the only way to restore the workloads is to have copies of backups.

On the other hand, your customer already has NAS replication and stores backups in cloud, so I wouldn't highly insist to make a backup copy in this specific case but anyway it's nice to have.

Thanks!
marco_itsc
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Re: Immutable backups and replicas (copy jobs)

Post by marco_itsc » 1 person likes this post

Hello PetrM,

Ok, thank you very much.