Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

immutablity and vm backups

Post by jcofin13 »

IF you have added vms to your backup job individually and then later want to remove one, will veeam clean up the historical backups of this vm the next time the job runs and remove its history or will that vm remain forever on the backup storage because it has been removed from the job?

I suspect it will track it and clean it up based on retention meaning if you are set to keep things for "5 days" it will remove the backups of this vm 1 day at a time until its fully gone from being able to be restored. Further if you have immutable storage, it will track that vm and try to clean it up and finally do so after your immtuable settings run out. Example....if immutible storage is set to 2 weeks...it will be cleaneded up after 2 weeks and not before because it isnt allowed to.

Im just trying to make sure that removing a vm from a job doesnt keep that vm on backend storage forever since the specfic job that vm was a part of no longer knows about it.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2475 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: immutablity and vm backups

Post by Mildur »

Hi jcofin

Veeam V12 has a background retention job. It runs daily at 00:30.
That job will make sure, that orphaned backups will be removed accordingly to their retention:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
It will track that vm and try to clean it up and finally do so after your immtuable settings run out. Example....if immutible storage is set to 2 weeks...it will be cleaneded up after 2 weeks and not before because it isnt allowed to.
Yes, it should. But using a higher immutability setting than job retention setting is not recommended. It can lead to job warnings.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Re: immutablity and vm backups

Post by jcofin13 »

Thank you. I have a vm that was removed from vcenter and the job shows a failed state when run. The log shows "Virtual machine: <machine name> is unavailable and will be skipped from processing" which is accurate. The vm has been removed from vcenter. The backup job itself doesnt show this virtual machine any longer but under application aware processing in the job it does show the vm which is odd. It is set to "disabled" copy only for the application aware processing settings. The "remove" button is greyed out so i cant remove it from here. I have tried to do a rescan on vcenter and the repo. Not sure why it wouldnt let me remove from this page since its no longer showing under the "virtual machines" to backup.

Update...i found it. I was listed. I just missed it despite looking twice. I think i should be all set.

Thanks for the clarification on the above items.