Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RGijsen
Expert
Liked: 25 times

Import backup on second repository - Backup already exists

Post by RGijsen »

Hi,
I am testing some situations here for my 'troubleshooting plan'. We have a secondary site with a relatively slow link though, which hosts our secondary backup store. It replicates just fine. However, in case something happens with the secondary store or server I prefer not to have to sync it again if the data itself is still there, and be able to map the existing backup files to the backup copy job. In comes the 'resacn repository' function. I can see the backup under 'Backups' --> 'Encrypted'. When I enter the encryption key I get the message 'Backup already exists'. The backup in the primary store exists and is functional, but as said I would like to reimport the backup on the remote repository in order NOT to have to do a full resync. Is that possible?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Import backup on second repository - Backup already exis

Post by foggy »

So, just to clarify, you have a backup copy job that syncs backups to your secondary location and want to simulate situation when e.g. its target repository server is lost but the actual data still available and needs to be imported for further backup copy job mapping, right? What are the exact steps you're performing? Have you removed backup files from the console or removed repository itself to simulate that? Or have you placed backups into the new repository and try to rescan it? I believe you cannot import backups that are already registered in Veeam B&R console (from the same repository).
RGijsen
Expert
Liked: 25 times

Post by RGijsen »

What I did is I renamed the directory the backup resides in on the target store. Then I removed the remote backups from the console and did a rescan of the remote repository. I think that simulates an OS reinstall of the remote node pretty well from Veeam's perspective. As I use encryption on the remote store, I now get a screen ilke this:

So it sees the old backup. Trying to import that backup supplying the encryption key gives that error. I've tried to find the backups in the SQL database to check if they weren't removed, but I cannot find them although I must say the database structure is not really clear to me yet.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This is not an expected behavior, so I encourage you to open a case with our technical support for investigation. Thanks.