Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tankbob
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Vale

[Feature Request] : Improve Backup Copy Job

Post by tankbob »

Currently the backup copy job appears to modify the full image every time it copies, as a result the offsite backup thinks that the main backup file has changed each time.

Can we have the ability to configure a backup copy job with it's own set of retention options similar to the main backup job.

That way I could configure the a backup copy job to copy incremental backups and then on a weekend convert the incremental backups to a full backup (i.e. synthetic full) with option of keeping reverse incremental backups too.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: [Feature Request] : Improve Backup Copy Job

Post by veremin »

That way I could configure the a backup copy job to copy incremental backups and then on a weekend convert the incremental backups to a full backup (i.e. synthetic full) with option of keeping reverse incremental backups too.
Actually, the backup copy job doesn't copy backup file as a whole, but rather synthetically creates required restore points in "target" location from VM data in source backup repositories. So, once initial run is finished, you will have one restore point on rotated media.
Can we have the ability to configure a backup copy job with it's own set of retention options similar to the main backup job.
The backup copy job does have its own retention settings that can be configured on the corresponding tab. ("Target")
Currently the backup copy job appears to modify the full image every time it copies, as a result the offsite backup thinks that the main backup file has changed each time.
Not sure whether I completely follow you on that. The backup copy job doesn't affect the "source" backup job, so can you elaborate on what you've meant?

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

tankbob wrote:Currently the backup copy job appears to modify the full image every time it copies, as a result the offsite backup thinks that the main backup file has changed each time.
Are you using some third-party tool to copy backups produced by the backup copy job offsite?
tankbob
Veeam ProPartner

Post by tankbob »

Sorry for the delay, I've been on holiday.

Current Setup is to backup to a local drive. Then the backup copy job is used to copy the backup offsite to a remote repository.

I then use a 3rd party tool to copy this remote repository to cloud storage.

Because the backup copy job modifies the Full backup at the destination of the backup copy job, the cloud backup then tries to recopy the 200Gb backup rather than just an incremental.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Robert, have you considered using secondary backup copy job for these purposes? I know it sounds like a workaround, but still should make a trick. Thanks for elaborating on your use case!
tankbob
Veeam ProPartner

Post by tankbob »

Not sure what you mean by secondary backup job
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Just another backup copy job that would perform backup to the cloud. What kind of cloud storage do you use?