Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
37rellimcm19
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Miller

In place upgrade of Veeam questions or gotchas?

Post by 37rellimcm19 »

Still gathering info on this, want to get others opinions or possible gotchas. I saw a few threads, however they were older.

We wanting to upgrade in place on an HP ProLiant Gen 9 Server. Go from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2016. And upgrade Veeam from v9 to v9.5.4 .

I know we can't use the .bco file for the upgrade due to having an older version of Veeam.

Does it matter which one we upgrade first, either Windows OS or Veeam software?

Will the older version of Veeam leave anything behind which may affect the v9.5.4 install?

For the backup jobs, probably have to manually re-create them on the new version of Veeam, correct?

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: In place upgrade of Veeam questions or gotchas?

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Chris,
37rellimcm19 wrote:Does it matter which one we upgrade first, either Windows OS or Veeam software?
Go with the Veeam B&R server, since it will have the required components to support the new guest OS.
37rellimcm19 wrote:Will the older version of Veeam leave anything behind which may affect the v9.5.4 install?
No, since it will be an in-place upgrade.
37rellimcm19 wrote:For the backup jobs, probably have to manually re-create them on the new version of Veeam, correct?
If you're doing an in-place upgrade, then you don't need to do that.

P.S. don't forget to back up either the Veeam B&R DB or the entire OS with a FREE Veeam Agent for Windows (just in case).

Thanks!
37rellimcm19
Influencer

Post by 37rellimcm19 »

We're already backing up the MS SQL Express DB, with Veeam, in case something happens, we can restore from the backup. If I'm understanding you correctly.

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, having a DB backup will always allow you to roll back to the previous installation if necessary. Let us know how your upgrade goes!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

By the way, configuration backup job might be also useful if you want to protect Veeam database.

Thanks!
37rellimcm19
Influencer

Post by 37rellimcm19 » 1 person likes this post

Vitaliy S. wrote: Apr 06, 2020 4:50 pm Yes, having a DB backup will always allow you to roll back to the previous installation if necessary. Let us know how your upgrade goes!
Thanks for much for the help with this.

Unfortunately I was put on a different project at work, as this upgrade is currently on hold. But I do want to thank all the helpful folks here on this forum. We couldn't have gotten this far without you.