rfdez
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rodrigo

Incremental Backup and Active Full

Post by rfdez »

Hi,

I have a doubt regarding this:

1. If i set incremental backups and Active full backups on Sunday.

2.- Then set the schedule to:

a.- EveryDay at 10PM: My incremental will run at 10 PM Mon - SAT and the full will be at Sunday at 10PM?. -
b.- Periodically every: 10 Minutes. --What about this: When my full will run?.. I believe Sunday.... but what time, every 10 minutes on Sunday?... What if i choose Full 2 days a week, at what time will full backups run?

Please, can someone explain?

I testing Veeam Backup and Replication 8.

Thanks,
Michael.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Incremental Backup and Active Full

Post by PTide »

Hi, and welcome to the community!
a.- EveryDay at 10PM: My incremental will run at 10 PM Mon - SAT and the full will be at Sunday at 10PM?.
That's correct!
b.- Periodically every: 10 Minutes. --What about this: When my full will run?.. I believe Sunday.... but what time, every 10 minutes on Sunday?... What if i choose Full 2 days a week, at what time will full backups run?
Then your Job will start at 12:00 AM Sunday resulting in Active Full. After that it will start again and again every 10 minutes, producing incrementals, until the end of the day. If you want your Job to start at some specific time - you can set a backup window. Please refer to this article for details. Please point out if something is not clear in our helpcenter.

Where do such questions come from? Are you just curious of how the software works or you just want to setup some specific backup schedule? If the latter then may I ask you about the schedule you are trying to configure? Maybe I could give you some hints...

Thank you.
rfdez
Novice

Post by rfdez »

Hi PTide and thank you for your answer.

You said:
Then your Job will start at 12:00 AM Sunday resulting in Active Full. After that it will start again and again every 10 minutes, producing incrementals, until the end of the day. If you want your Job to start at some specific time - you can set a backup window. Please refer to this article for details. Please point out if something is not clear in our helpcenter.
My full backups will start at 12AM on Sunday... just once?.. or will run full backups every 10 minutes on Sunday?.

What about if i choose: incremental Mon to Saturday every 10 minutes and Active Full two days: Tuesday and Thursday... what about this: My incremental will run every 10 minutes all days except Tuesday and Thursday and Tuesday and Thursday will run active full every 10 minutes?. I

I'm asking because of I want to know Veeam actually works. when you choose "Periodically every"

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

just once?.. or will run full backups every 10 minutes on Sunday?.
Just once.
What about if i choose: incremental Mon to Saturday every 10 minutes and Active Full two days: Tuesday and Thursday... what about this: My incremental will run every 10 minutes all days except Tuesday and Thursday and Tuesday and Thursday will run active full every 10 minutes?
Then all Monday you get incementals every 10 minutes starting from 12 AM, at 12 AM Tuesday you get Full, at 12:10 AM Tuesday you get another incremental and another one in 10 minutes and so on until Thursday 12 AM, then you get another Full, after that you keep getting incrementals every 10 minutes until it is 12 AM Sunday (here you backup server stops doing backups) then comes Monday 12 AM and your next incremental run, and another one in 10 minutes, and another one until 12 AM Tuesday (another Full) and so on....

Mon 12AM: FULL (initial one) - inc - inc - inc - inc - ...

Tue 12AM: FULL - inc - inc - inc - inc - ...

Wed 12AM: ... - inc - inc - inc - inc - inc - ...

Thu 12AM: FULL - inc - inc - inc - inc - inc - ...

Fri 12AM: ... - inc - inc - inc - inc - ...

Sat 12AM: ... - inc - inc - inc ...

Sun 12AM: nothing

Mon 12AM: ... - inc - inc - ...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

General rule is that full backup is performed once a day it is scheduled on, all subsequent job runs during the same day are incremental (unless you trigger the full manually).
rfdez
Novice

Post by rfdez »

I got it:
Then all Monday you get incementals every 10 minutes starting from 12 AM, at 12 AM Tuesday you get Full, at 12:10 AM Tuesday you get another incremental and another one in 10 minutes and so on until Thursday 12 AM, then you get another Full, after that you keep getting incrementals every 10 minutes until it is 12 AM Sunday (here you backup server stops doing backups) then comes Monday 12 AM and your next incremental run, and another one in 10 minutes, and another one until 12 AM Tuesday (another Full) and so on....
Thanks!.

What about the retention policy?.... I set to 14 and I have 44 (and counting....) It will count 14 based on full?... I mean:

1 Full
Incre
Incre
Incre
2 Full
Incre
Incre
Incre
14 Full will maintain until here?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

What about the retention policy?.... I set to 14 and I have 44 (and counting....) It will count 14 based on full?
It will count based on amount of restore points available. No old restore points can be deleted in case deletion will result in lesser amount of restore points than specified in job options. Please refer to this animated guide for details.

Thank you.
rfdez
Novice

Post by rfdez »

Thanks a lot for all your comments!

Michael.
case
Lurker
Full Name: Case

Post by case »

Hi Guys, I'm new here and I have a simple question.

I would like to make a full backup on friday as the last backup of that day.

08:00 10:00 12:00 14:00 16:00
. inc .. inc .. inc .. inr .. icr .. mon-thu
. inc .. inc . .inc .. inc .. full . fri

Until now wenn I specify a full backup on friday it runs at 8:00 which is a problem because of workload issues.

Is it posible to run the full backup as last backup job on friday.

Thank you.