Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RonTom42
Novice
Liked: never

Initialize Backup Copy Job with data from all restore points

Post by RonTom42 »

Hi,

I hope someone here can help with my challenge.
I have several Backup Jobs that have 365 restore points. I want to start using Backup Copy Jobs with more space saving retention policies.
My retention could be: 5 restore points, 4 weekly, 4 monthly, 4 quartely.

My expectation is that there is some way of running the initial Backup Copy job in a way so that it picks data from all my existing 365 restore point in a way that it can fulfill my retention policy in the best possible way. But it seems that the Backup Copy Job only grabs the last restore point from the Backup Jobs.

I really hope that someone can help so that I don´t have to wait a whole year before I can reduce the number of restore points I have on the Backup Jobs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Initialize Backup Copy Job with data from all restore po

Post by veremin »

You're right in saying that backup copy job doesn't copy backup files as a whole, but rather synthetically creates required restore points in "target" location from VM data in source backup repositories.

Thus, it's not possible to populate its GFS retention scheme with existing restore points. The only option I can think of is to restore/backup needed restore points and keep them however long you want to or preserve existing backup chain for the defined period.

Thanks.
RonTom42
Novice
Liked: never

Post by RonTom42 »

Thanks

Is there a KB or document that describes the restore/backup procedure that you mentioned? It might be a good solution. But of course, I need to keep timestamps on restore points.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is there a KB or document that describes the restore/backup procedure that you mentioned?
Unfortunately, there is no KB and/or document describing the said process.

As to keeping timestamps, it might be worth renaming VMs during restore process in order for their names to reflect required date and then backing them up individually via VeeamZIP (which will preserve the changed names).

Thanks.