Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
njohnson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nathan Johnson

Installation Issue

Post by njohnson »

Greetings,

I have rebuilt my backup server using Windows Server 2003 R2 64bit. During the install where you put the Administrator credentials i.e. DOMAIN\Admin , I choose next and I receive an error that tells me "The user account is disabled." Which of course is impossible. Please assist.

P.S. I am using the 64bit version of Veeam Backup

Thanks,
Nate
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Installation Issue

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Nate,

I haven't seen this issue reported so far, I assume it could be related to the account you're putting in. By the way are you currently logged in with this account? Please try using another account and see whether if fixes the issue or not.

Thank you!
njohnson
Novice
Full Name: Nathan Johnson

Post by njohnson »

I am using the domain admin account. If I use the local machine admin account it works. Though I have always used the domain admin account when installing Veeam in the past.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Nathan,

Are you able to complete any other task with this account? I just wonder if this issue still could be related to the domain admin account.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hmm never seen this issue reported before, indeed. Try to create new AD user account, and use this account instead? Because this might be account-specific issue as well.
HansJ
Novice
Full Name: Hans Jacobsson

Post by HansJ »

I am running in to the same issue. I have tried with both the domain admin acct and a service acct. The error comes when entering the Veeam service account information.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Hans,

Have you tried specifying the same user you're currently logged in? Could this be related to some Group Policies applied to the machine? I would try entering any newly created local/domain account that belongs to local admin group.

Additionaly, if you're familiar with scripting you may check whether account is enabled/disabled using the script below:

http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=4890

Hope it helps!
HansJ
Novice

Post by HansJ »

Vitaliy,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am logged in as the domain admin account. I have tried using this account or a service account I use for backups, same error for both users. Neither of them are disabled or locked out. I did a test run a few days ago on a Windows 2003 server and the service account worked fine (this server is now shut down). On the 2008R2 server I'm now testing I get the "user disabled" error. When I use a local account on the server it works, but then there are issues connecting to the NAS I'm backing up to. I would much prefer to use n AD account.

Hans
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hm... As you have everything working in Windows 2003, so it must be Win2008 specific issue. I'm not sure it will be relevant but do you have UAC enabled for your Windows 2008 R2 server?

Also please review the GPO security settings, that might be preventing you from successfull installation:

Code: Select all

Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Accounts
HansJ
Novice

Post by HansJ »

I finally figured it out. The issue happened because we're still running a Windows 2000 domain. Microsoft have a hotfix for the issue. Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976494/en-us for more information.

Hans
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hans,

Thank you for posting the resolution!
ccc
Influencer
Full Name: chris

Post by ccc »

I have exact the same problem on my Windows 2003 R2 SP2 32bit and cannot find any solution.
BTW Is it any patch from Microsoft for Windows 2003, to solve this issue ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Try appying all the latest security and critical updates/patches to your Win2003 server, I'm not sure that it will work, but it is definitely worth trying!
redboot
Novice

Post by redboot »

I encountered this error (installing Veeam Backup & Rep on Windows Server 2003 x86).
I found that, although I was using the domain admin acct, the domain admin was not a local administrator.
So, I went to cmd and used CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 (GUI is go to users). Saw Administrator listed only for Domain name of the machine. Add user called Adminstrator with domain name of the domain. Gave this user admin rights.
You will be required to logout / login for this change to take effect.
Restarted install and all went smoothly.
Chris128
Influencer

Post by Chris128 »

We are having the exact same issue with Veeam 4.1 on Server 2008 x64 (with the forest and domain on 2008 functional level) and I've yet to find a solution :(
Currently downloading and installing all available windows updates but we don't have any other problems with using the domain admin account on that server so it certainly looks more like a Veeam issue than an OS issue.
Chris128
Influencer

Post by Chris128 »

OK well I've sorted it out :) I was just testing using the domain admin account to run another service and so when I did that for the first time it granted the domain admin account the "Log On As Service" right and then the next time I tried to install Veeam it worked fine.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Thanks for coming back with the update and resolution!