Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jward

Re: Integration with Storage Snapshots : Vendor Roadmap

Post by jward »

Gostev wrote:Hi, I am afraid such uncontrolled poll will not going to work any longer, as we are seeing many forum registrations when people register on these forums just to post +1 for one specific vendor, and never post anything on these forums again. Clearly the vendor is very focused on promoting this thread within their customer base, this strategy works and will completely and utterly screw any poll results, should I create one.
We purchased Veeam 7 because of v8 integration with NetApp. Since then we have moved our vSphere storage to Tintri and would like Veeam to integrate with Tintri storage ASAP. If there is a better way to communicate this then +1 vendor please let me know.
Dtoews
Novice
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Darren Toews

Post by Dtoews »

+1 for Nimble from me. We just got a couple CS300s installed and would love this feature to be available for us!
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Whahoo! Seems like one of my favourite Vendors will be added in the next couple of weeks :)
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Dean lewis

Post by saintdle »

Gostev wrote: Hi, I am afraid such uncontrolled poll will not going to work any longer, as we are seeing many forum registrations when people register on these forums just to post +1 for one specific vendor, and never post anything on these forums again. Clearly the vendor is very focused on promoting this thread within their customer base, this strategy works and will completely and utterly screw any poll results, should I create one.

Under such circumstances, if we are to run such a poll again, it will probably be in a format of a blast to our entire mailing list with the unique voting links, or something like this - and running for a very short time to prevent any possibility of promoting the importance of this poll by certain vendors to their customer base. In the end, just a few hunded of responses already provide more than sufficient margin of error - and with our mailing list size, I am sure we can easily get 1000 responses within 24 hours.

So the answer is, due to the nature of abuse that could happen on the poll, you won't do one?

Maybe if Veeam were more open with who they are working with. This would help a lot of people out.
Technical Architect
Veeam Certified Architect
Veeam Vanguard
  • Personal Technical Blog - www.veducate.co.uk
  • Twitter - @saintdle
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Dean lewis

Post by saintdle »

andihoell wrote:+1 for EqualLogic integration. We use the PS4100.

Won't happen because as someone from veeam told one during a tech day with them, the design of how the units do snapshots is horendous, and incompatible with how veeam has got the feature working with other vendors.

As far as I am aware the underlying technology and code for equallogic a has changed much since dell bought the company. But this is me repeating hearsay.
Technical Architect
Veeam Certified Architect
Veeam Vanguard
  • Personal Technical Blog - www.veducate.co.uk
  • Twitter - @saintdle
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Dean,
in regards to the statements about Nimble, we are not supporting them in the short term not because someone was too "abusive" here in this thread.
What Anton is meaning is that since Nimble customers have been really vocal in this thread asking for future support, any poll at this time would be influenced by this. Maybe there's a bigger community of users of another vendor that are waiting for the support too, but they don't show up here simply because they are not too vocal, but maybe they are asking for support via other channels like our sales force.
This doesn't mean at all we will never support NImble because we are so childish to be "offended" by you guys were too vocal here ;)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by NightBird » 1 person likes this post

Support for EMC VNX/VNX2 Snapshot (not snapview one) and VNXe2 one ;)

VNX snapshot is a good snapshot engine.
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

Yes! Veeam will integrate with DataCore Storage Snapshots starting from San Symphony 10 PSP2!

Thx Veeam and DataCore! :)
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Guido, sorry, what is the source of your news please? Because we haven't released any updated information since we supported Netapp in v8 and as such any rumor around the internet is totally unconfirmed.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

Hi Luca,

DataCore is the source. It's a bulletpoint for the psp2 release which will be discussed in a webinar this friday.
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Uhm, do you have any link that I can read?
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Delo123 wrote:Yes! Veeam will integrate with DataCore Storage Snapshots starting from San Symphony 10 PSP2!
I can confirm officially that this is not a correct statement. We have no integration with DataCore implemented, or being developed, or even planned in the short-term future. I cannot be sure what functionality this statement relates to, but the bottom line is that there is no supported solution coming from Veeam for DataCore snapshots any time soon.
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

Here is the official press release, certainly looks like there is Veeam support for DataCore storage snapshots which looks like "integration" for me. Will give it a spin this evening to see how it's done

http://www.datacore.com/Company/news-pr ... ud-support
PackersPlus
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jared Gudnason

Post by PackersPlus »

+1 on Nimble support please.
our enterprise is incorporating some Nimble storage and snapshot integration would be an immediate upgrade to Ent + licenses for Veeam.
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Delo123 wrote:Here is the official press release, certainly looks like there is Veeam support for DataCore storage snapshots which looks like "integration" for me. Will give it a spin this evening to see how it's done
At most, a better statement would be that there is DataCore support for Veeam. as Anton explained already, Veeam was NOT involved in anything regarding this development.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Delo123 wrote:Here is the official press release, certainly looks like there is Veeam support for DataCore storage snapshots which looks like "integration" for me. Will give it a spin this evening to see how it's done
http://www.datacore.com/Company/news-pr ... ud-support
No idea what could this be, as they've never reached out to us - not even for formal approval of using our name in their press release for stating that we do something together (which we do not). Let alone to have a technical discussion to see if we can support whatever they are doing - or to let us perform certification testing, which should all have happened before this press release. We will try to contact them and get some details.

Meanwhile, from our side, we cannot be sure that their integration will result in recoverable backups. As such, for now using this integration will render the corresponding Veeam B&R deployment unsupported, and it will remain unsupported even after removing the integration, because this may potentially introduce corruptions into the incremental backup chain, rendering further backups unrecoverable. So, I highly advice against testing the integration in production environments.

We will create a support KB article stating this momentarily.
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

After reading DataCore documentation i must say i agree :)
DataCore needs a helper ESX (which can be nested) which looks like a quite nasty configuration, surely not the way Veeam would do it...
Anyway, looks more like something to test in the weekend ;)
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

Helper ESX ? sounds like the method where CBT data isn't preserved.
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

Possible... Anyway, since Veeam was not involved we will only be doing some tests, and wait at least a couple of months...
There are some more ceveats, vm's on the same datastore must be processed in the same job, in running in parallel in multiple jobs corruption can occur etc...

But at least they did something, will certainly be polished in the future :)
marky78
Lurker
Full Name: Marc Coneley

Post by marky78 »

+1 for Nimble!
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Post by davidb1234 »

Is Pure Storage supported yet? We are thinking about purchasing pure storage next year.+1 if it is not.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No. The list of currently supported storages is available in Veeam B&R system requirements.
TimmyB
Lurker

Post by TimmyB »

Hi, I can see this thread is flooded with requests for Nimble support, but one more can't hurt :-)
I'm a long standing Veeam user, just in the process of upgrading to a pair of Nimble CS300s. Having Veeam integration would be amazing, I hope you are able to implement this.
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

As a Datacore customer I just read their PSP2 documentation and was VERY excited to see them mention "Veeam integration" only to come on here and see it is not fully supported. It does seem like some cobbled together solution that needs a Helper ESX Host as well as scripts to run. Looks like Datacore themselves are trying to help Veeam along with backups from SAN snaps :)

Here are the "procedures"...

http://www.datacore.com/VeeamIntegratio ... Backup.htm

http://www.datacore.com/VeeamIntegratio ... elcome.htm
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Indeed, this does not look usable at all. Having to create a job with explicitly added VMs, and edit it each time the new VM appears alone... while this may work if you only add one VM every month (still, have to remember to do this every time), what about larger environments?

More importantly though, I can immediately see possible technical issues with this approach, too. First, I am not sure whether CBT will function reliably (or at all) with the suggested approach. Also, I don't understand how application-aware processing will work, as it seems Veeam never gets to interact with the production VMs at all, only with Helper-VMs, which are shut down... but in this case, we definitely can never support this integration.

By the way, here is the official support KB for this > KB2035
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert » 1 person likes this post

The fact they are trying to integrate on their side is at least showing how important the feature is for Veeam users and also suggest many datacore customers are also veeam customers. After all, that's what happen when you become the "standard" :D
Having to create a job with explicitly added VMs, and edit it each time the new VM appears alone... while this may work if you only add one VM every month (still, have to remember to do this every time), what about larger environments?
True and looks like lab testing, but I would add that "larger environments" are equiped with orchestration software or Cloud management Platform that take care of remembering what has to be done :D :D
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

Just received the Veeam email about v9, next one is EMC VNX :-)
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
TimmyB
Lurker

Post by TimmyB »

emachabert wrote:Just received the Veeam email about v9, next one is EMC VNX :-)
I just got that too - just a shame that I'm in the process of moving away from EMC!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

As you may have guessed by now, we are going after market share leaders first and foremost, as both our existing users and prospects are more likely to have those deployed.
depps
Enthusiast
Full Name: Daniel Epps

Post by depps »

That's a shame, we've just decommissioned our VNX kit in favor of some Nimbles.

Seems silly to focus on the "old" market leaders when Nimble, Tintri, Pure etc are stealing customers left right and center.