Post by HJAdams123 » 1 person likes this post

A vote for Pure Storage!!!
SGalbincea
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Galbincea

Re: Integration with Storage Snapshots : Vendor Roadmap

Post by SGalbincea »

depps wrote:That's a shame, we've just decommissioned our VNX kit in favor of some Nimbles.

Seems silly to focus on the "old" market leaders when Nimble, Tintri, Pure etc are stealing customers left right and center.
This! Veeam is a modern backup application, I can't understand why you are going for legacy solutions first rather than modern storage solutions - we are retiring and moving away from VNX products at many clients, nobody wants to work with that stuff anymore when there are better solutions out there. I see Veeam and Nimble together all the time, one has to believe that support is coming sooner than later - but it would be nice to have confirmation.
Senior Solutions Engineer, SLED - VMware
nebojsa
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Post by nebojsa »

Is there any information which licenses will be required for EMC integration (similar to how FlexClone/SnapRestore is necessary for NetApp cDOT)?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Unified Snapshots (to be able create storage snapshots) and license for the corresponding protocol will be required.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert » 2 people like this post

EMC is a good point for Veeam, their customer base is big. Yes, It's legacy solutions, somewhat "oldschool" architecture but regarding the business it is a huge potential. Good job, we gonna sell many E+ upgrades with the ongoing rebate :D

At first, when the feature apeared with HP, the way it was implemented suggested Veeam was on the way to publish (at least for storage vendors) a SDK to write their own plugin (interface specification with easy and simple methods to be implemented for snapshot processing). Why not ? Support I guess
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
yasuda
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Post by yasuda »

saintdle wrote:Won't happen because as someone from veeam told one during a tech day with them, the design of how the units do snapshots is horendous, and incompatible with how veeam has got the feature working with other vendors.

As far as I am aware the underlying technology and code for equallogic a has changed much since dell bought the company. But this is me repeating hearsay.
Dell is merging EqualLogic into Compellent. I attended a webinar (slideshare here: http://www.slideshare.net/dellenterpris ... -sc-series ) and while that information is not in the slides, I asked the presenter directly because it looked like Compellent is moving into the EqualLogic market segment. He said the goal is to enable the Compellent management application to manage EqualLogic arrays, and that EqualLogic management would look more like Compellent in future firmware.
alaskan
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by alaskan »

dellock6 wrote:And just as an addition, remember we are fundamentally storage agnostic, since our software works at the hypervisor layer. Storage integration can be leveraged with supported vendors and models, but all the functionalities we offer are available with or without storage integration.
Actually I don't understand how you can say your storage agnostic when you offer hp and netapp integration..?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

What I mean is that we can use any storage array in production with no exception. Whatever is supported by VMware, we can use.
The storage snapshot integration is an additional feature for an even better experience, but it's not mandatory in order to use Veeam.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
jonno81
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Hollis

[MERGED] : FEATURE REQUEST - Isilon snapshot backups

Post by jonno81 »

Hi

Given that Veeam Availability Suite v9 will be covering EMC snapshots will there be future coverage for Isilon storage?

thanks
Jon
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Version 9 will bring support for VNX(e). No information regarding "after v9 plans" at this point, though.
jnhall
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by jnhall »

+1 for Nimble.
LeoKurz
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Leonhard Kurz

Post by LeoKurz »

Hello,

a quick remark on DataCore integration. This is a framework built by DataCore for SAN snapshot based backups of VMware VMs. It uses a helper ESX (which can be virtual). In principle, it can be used with any VADP based backup solution, VEEAM B&R is the first product integrated in this framework. IMHO is is not very elegant, you loose quit a lot of features (e.g. Application awareness), but it works. Some very interesting licensing questions rise with this solution :-) I'm not working for DataCore, but I have a good working relation with DataCore in Germany. I know they have tried very hard to get the official VEEAM support but VEEAM was not interested. This is a pity. I think this would be very beneficial for all parties. DataCore has a very good standing and large customer base in Germany. Both solutions run on a Windows platform and as far as I can tell (we also have a very good relation to VEEAM), both companies have a very similar mindset. All our customers running DataCore run VEEAM B&R Standard. I think the snapshot integration is not the most interesting use case for the DataCore integration. DataCore has a very cool feature called CDP (continous data protection) which runs a log of all changes of a lun so you can jump to *any* point in time within the log (up to 72h). This happens in realtime and they usually jump to the next consistency point in the data stream (SCSI sync), so you have a good chance to get something usable when you mount the LUN at this point in time. All DataCore customers have this feature licensed but hardly anyone uses it. The reason is obvious. Although the feature is cool and works pretty well, the effort to mount such a CDP LUN in a virtualized environment is a pain, let alone any file level recoveries and/or application integration. The API interface to DataCore CDP is similar to the snapshot handling and I'm sure the implementation wouldn't be too hard (even Comvault managed this :-)). If the VEEAM B&R could be used as interface for the CDP handling, I'm pretty sure that most customers would upgrade to Enterprise if this would be available.

Cheers
__Leo
virtualGain
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael Degain

[MERGED] Feature Request: PURE Storage Array Integration

Post by virtualGain » 2 people like this post

Hi Team,

Just wondering if there are any plans for PURE storage array snapshot integration like you have for netapp or vnx. PURE does not have any archiving capability but they have a great snapshot integration. Veeam seems like a no brainer use case for anyone looking to get snapshot based backups without eating up all their flash storage goodness.

I know PURE does not have a big market share yet but they are growing at an unbelievable rate and Veeam seems like a no brainer for darn near anyone that would be utilizing it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking time to register on Veeam Community forums and thanks for your feature request. PURE storage integration is not coming in the short term future, but we will keep monitoring the demand.

Thank you!
ipetrovski
Lurker
Full Name: Igor Petrovski

Post by ipetrovski » 1 person likes this post

Pure has a full rest api it seems like it would be easier to integrate with Veeam vs EMC. This feature would increase the use case in our MSP environment.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As Vitaliy's said, there are no plans to bring integration for the said devices in the nearest future. Though, your voice is counted. Thank you.
DarrenToews
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Darren Toews

Post by DarrenToews »

I'm sure Veeam's aware, but just in case ...

https://connect.nimblestorage.com/docs/DOC-1494

Nimble OS 2.3 now supports REST API. :)
terafirma
Novice

Re: [MERGED] Veeam and PureStorage SAN

Post by terafirma »

RakeshP wrote:Hi

We have two Pure Storage SANs and are migrating off our EMC equipment. We have used Veeam for several years and would like to see the snapshot technology you have in place with HP SANs working with the Pure Storage SANs. I spoke to Pure who have said Veeam are indeed in discussions with Pure, but I had to express my interest on the forum to help the discussions progress further.

I appreciate Pure are a relatively new vendor with a small market share compared to some of the others.

If there are others on the forum who have the same set up, please express your views...
Yes please exact same thing for me moving from VNX to Pure and asked about Veeam support. Given Veeam have provided a better together whitepaper and how easy it is to work with the Pure API I would have thought this was a very straight forward thing to do.
ericcsinger
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Eric Singer

Post by ericcsinger »

v.Eremin wrote:Version 9 will bring support for VNX(e). No information regarding "after v9 plans" at this point, though.
Can you answer what exactly drives your decision on what vendor you choose to work with? Have you guys ever done a formal survey (as in non-forum based, but actually reach out to your customers).

At least from where I'm sitting, the last few releases seem too little too late with your vendor selection. The only one who looks like a sound investment is HP and that's only do to 3Par. Dell, NetApp and EMC are all losing significant market share to Nimble specifically, and in niche cases Pure. I personally doubt Tintri or Tegile will survive long term, but Pure and Nimble, are going to be the new names in storage, and they're not going anywhere any time soon. At least with EMC, if I was going to invest time in anything, it would be Extreme-IO. its not big yet, but its getting there.

I also want to be clear, i'm only talking about snapshot support on primary storage. DataDomain and HP investment seems like a wise investment.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Eric,

Storage vendor is selected based on these factors:
Gostev wrote:We are considering the following 3 criteria for future storage integrations:
1. Good snapshot engine.
2. Significant market share for the storage device.
3. Technical and marketing support from the top down by the storage vendor.
Thanks for your feedback!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Eric, in fact we ARE looking at quickly growing and largely successful upstart vendors for vNEXT, because we are now done adding support for all of our three major technology alliance partners. For that reason, it is safe to say that the quoted rules are going to be changed slightly moving forward ;)
szwicker
Service Provider
Full Name: Seth Zwicker

Post by szwicker »

I'll also throw my vote in for Nimble.
pschmelzle@huyett
Lurker
Full Name: Paul Schmelzle

Post by pschmelzle@huyett » 1 person likes this post

+1 for Nimble
ExpertTrigger
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by ExpertTrigger »

+1 for Tintri
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Post by btmaus » 1 person likes this post

+1 for Nimble and +1 PureStorage.
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV » 1 person likes this post

+1 for Nimble, moved from Nexenta.
XZim
Novice
Full Name: Chris Black

Post by XZim » 1 person likes this post

+1 for Nimble - been patiently waiting since 2012 - as soon as Veeam supports this we will move all our infrastrucure from Commvault Simpana snapshot integration to Veeam (we have found the Commvault integration too complicated and not as elegant as Veeam)
SkyDiver79
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 36 times
Full Name: Falk

Post by SkyDiver79 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

is a Storage-Snapshot Support for DataCore and IBM SVC/Storwize in planning?

Both a Solution to integrate simple. Datacore use Powershell like Veeam and IBM use SSH with very easy to use Commandlets.

Regards Falk
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Falk - sorry, but we cannot comment on specific vendors.
ckeith7777
Novice
Full Name: Chuck Keith

Post by ckeith7777 »

Integration with Nimble Please!!!