Re: Integration with Storage Snapshots : Vendor Roadmap

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

FirefoxTheBomb
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Firefox

[MERGED] Add Simplivity Support

Post by FirefoxTheBomb »

I would like to be able to add my HPE Simplivity to the Storage Infrastructure the way we added out Netapp devices.

Makes restores so much easier...
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Post by JHuston »

Add another for HPE Simplivity, it would solve long term retention for us too if we could move the native backups out of the cluster. Speaking with HPE this may not be possible as they use a custom NFS protocol but hey, maybe Veeam you can work your magic with HPE to make it happen :)
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Jeff, we already had some meetings with them and found out that they have a unique technology that is not compatible with our Universal Storage API. As you said Veeam custom development would be needed. HPE asked us to do some other development first. Let‘s see what the future brings.

Andy
xmaveric
Lurker
Full Name: Joshua Gregory

Post by xmaveric »

Is there a central page that lists all of the storage vendors that are compatible with this technology?

Any healing of the relationship with Dell since the EMC merger? I’m looking for integration with Equallogic/Compellent.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

https://www.veeam.com/backup-from-stora ... shots.html
... you can find a table and PDF there that list all the integrations.

We do not comment about upcoming integrations, as it is completely up to the vendors to complete their development there. As Anton Gistev shared in the Forum Digest today, we are in contact with nearly all of them.
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Post by cerberus »

Compellent has been posted up on this post for quite some time, but sounds like Dell needs to commit to this first.

For us, we would like to see CML storage snapshots integration for Veeam backups to reduce the overhead of VMware vSphere snapshots - especially I/O heavy VMs.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert »

It always helps to speed up things when you report the demand as well on the storage vendor side. The more customer report the demand, the easier it get´s for the Product managers of the storage vendors to justify the needed investments.
Asahi
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Iio Asahi

[MERGED] About cooperation schedule between Veeam and Simpli

Post by Asahi »

Hi Veeam Team,

I have a question about cooperation between Veeam and HCI.
Do you plan to work with Storage Snapshot of HPE SimpliVity in the future?

Recently, the number of cases where Veeam B & R is introduced in the HPE SimpliVity environment is increasing.
I am very interested in the future response schedule.

Kind Regards,
Asahi,
Climb Inc.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 2 people like this post

Hi Ashai,

thanks for the note. We can not comment other than we working closely with all vendors together. It is impossible to comment about an integration without that integration reached already beta or release candidate stage.

The Veeam Universal Storage API program is a joint development program between us and the vendor. So we depend on the development progress of the vendors, their bugfixing and potentially changes on the storage side. This is not controlled by Veeam and so we can not comment about it. We want to place reliable messages here, so if we announce an integration you will know for sure that it is coming in the immediate future.

During the program we had so many lessons learned situations in which legal contract things take longer or in the middle of the development process we realize together, that there is something to be addressed on the vendor storage or the Veeam product side to ensure compatibility.

Then there are situations that special integrations out of the Universal Storage API program are needed. For example our USAPI work with volume snapshots while some of the HCI and Storage vendor work with VM snapshots and do not have concepts like classical volumes. These leave us no choice as to do special integrations which take much longer than the USAPI approach where we can release several integrations a year. We lately released IBM/Lenovo/Infinidat/Pure/Huawei and we will soon release additional. So we concentrate on making as much vendors available during the USAPI program as we can this year.

Overall we have implemented several product enhancements for processing on the standard VMware backup side that address NFS based storages and other things in the HCI space. So that there is no issue in backing up these devices with our standard VM backup (until we maybe have an integration). There is a lot of goodness in the product as well to address situations that need fast restores with our Instant VM Recovery and other features.

Please push as well your storage vendor side for this, as this makes them to adjust their priorities in the way you need.

Thanks Andy
Yuya
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by Yuya »

Hello,

Do you have the plan to add the storage integration with Dell EMC XtremIO?

Thanks,
Yuya
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Hi Yuya, thanks for your vote. Please see my comment one post above yours as answer.
Andy
pdef
Novice

Post by pdef »

We also would love to see Storage Integration for Dell Compellent to reduce the Snapshot load for our VM's.
TobiasF
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tobias

Post by TobiasF »

Dell Compellent / SC-Storage would be awesome !

Actually the Backup slows down our fileservices :/
jayscarff
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

Post by jayscarff » 1 person likes this post

+1 for storage integration with the dell Compellent range! Does anyone know if this is being worked on?
Jason
VMCE
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Jason, we do not comment on future integrations, please see this post for some details. Thanks!
lucianopope
Lurker
Full Name: Luciano Pope

Post by lucianopope »

Hello!Hello! I purchased a Dell Storage SC Series and would like to know when the integration will be available.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Hi, please check my comments above yours for a longer explanation. We can not comment for external factor reasons.
kaithost
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kai Thost

Post by kaithost »

+1 for Dell SC / Compellent
+1 for DataCore SANsymphony
oliverL
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Oliver

Post by oliverL »

+1 for Compellent/SC Integration
ianvantellingen
Lurker
Full Name: Ian

Post by ianvantellingen »

+1 for Compellent/SC integration
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

All,

I am locking this topic since for quite some time now, there's no longer any sense to request storage integrations from Veeam. These requests should be directed to the corresponding storage vendor, as it's on them to deliver the integration using the Universal Storage API we provide since version 9.5 Update 3. Multiple vendors have already released the integration over the past year, and many more integrations are in flight.

For example, as far as vendors mentioned in a few recent posts:
• Dell EMC has access to the API and are free to implement the integration if so they wish. Push your Dell EMC sales rep ;)
• DataCore has access to the API and as far as I know have already started the integration work.

We're unable to share timelines when the particular integration may be released - even for those already in flight - for reasons explained in this post.

All of the above leaves no reasons to keep this all-in-one topic going. Feel free to open the new topic regarding particular integrations if you have a question that this post does not already cover.

Thank you!
gordonp
Lurker
Full Name: Gordon Pieterse

[MERGED] Feature Request - Fujitsu Eternus DX Storage Integration

Post by gordonp »

Good-day,

Following discussions and on recommendation by the Veeam support team, I would like to submit a Feature Request for storage integration with Fujitsu Eternus disk arrays.

The use of Fujitsu Eternus storage arrays is prevalent in South Africa, for reasons of being well priced and known for their great performance, rich feature sets and good reliability. We recently acquired a number of Eternus DX200 S4 arrays for use in production storage, as well as a disk based backup targets within our Veeam deployment.

I was quite disappointed to learn that our Eternus arrays are not currently supported through integration for backups using storage snapshot technology within Veeam. Our environment is VMware based, and performing snapshots within VMWare and not the underlying storage does add a hefty performance penalty to our environment.

I am fully aware of the existence of the Veeam integrated Fujitsu Eternus CS series backup appliances, but in a sense that device serves a different role in the deployment, being a fully fledged backup proxy and storage target - not production VM storage.

Please would the Product Management Team provide some insight as to the road map for integration with storage devices, and whether or not the Fujitsu Eternus DX series arrays are earmarked for integration?

Best regards,
Gordon Pieterse
liamiha
Novice
Full Name: Liam

[MERGED] Dell ME

Post by liamiha »

Hi
Not sure if this is the correct location but can I suggest snapshot storage integration with Dell ME storage? Moved away from a Nimble and my reseller wasn’t aware of this and now I don’t have storage snapshot integration.
Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Re: Dell ME

I guess you mean Dell EMC PowerVault?

You can see based on our supported storage plattform here
https://www.veeam.com/storage-integrations.html

that DellEMC has access to the Universal Storage API. Only the vendor itself can comment about their plans regarding creation of Veeam Plug-ins.