Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andybh
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Hartwell

Is it OK to Backup a Veeam created Replica ?

Post by andybh »

I want to have two "backups" - one replica onsite + one backup offsite (at our DR location)

(1) CBT (change block tracking) will only presumably keep one “CBT log” or whatever so you couldn’t rely on it to create a replica and a backup of the same VM
(2) Creating a replica and a backup of one VM using the “live” VM as the source would both put load on the live SAN.

I’m considering the following :-

(A) LIVE VMS ARE STORED ON “PRODUCTION iSCSI SAN” (LONDON)
(B) VEEAM CREATES REPLICAS OF EACH VM ON “DR iSCSI SAN” (LONDON) to provide cover if Production SAN fails (Hourly for mission critical – daily others)
(C) VEEAM CREATES BACKUP OF EACH VM ON “BACKUP SERVER (NTFS)” (FELTHAM) provides offsite ability to recover (each evening)
(D) BACKUP EXEC COPIES BACKUP FILES FROM NTFS STORAGE to TAPE LIBRARY (FELTHAM) (each weekend)
(E) TAPE SET TAKEN OUT OF ROTATION AT MONTH END (Archive/Long Term Retreival)

Have I missed anything obvious ?

Thanks !

Andy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Is it OK to Backup a Veeam created Replica ?

Post by Gostev »

Hello Andy, this scenario is quite possible, but I believe you will need to disable the use of changed block tracking for jobs which backup replicas, because ESX changed block tracking will not be able to track replica VMDK modifications by external processes. I will be able to confirm this for you with developers on Monday. Thank you.
andybh
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Hartwell

Re: Is it OK to Backup a Veeam created Replica ?

Post by andybh »

andybh wrote:I want to have two "backups" - one replica onsite + one backup offsite (at our DR location)

(C) VEEAM CREATES BACKUP OF EACH VM ON “BACKUP SERVER (NTFS)” (FELTHAM) provides offsite ability to recover (each evening)
Sorry - This should have read "Veeam creates backup of each REPLICA VM on Backup server".

The idea being that the backup (to offsite storage) does not impact the live environment.

Thanks,

Andy