Is Veeam doing anything in KVM space?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Is Veeam doing anything in KVM space?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:08 pm

If you're not doing host level backup anyway, you can as well use Veeam agents - and stay with us :D
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2301 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby adapterer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:30 am

Slight digression but I'm genuinely interested to know the answer as maybe it informs current trends, why would someone choose KVM over Hyper-V free? (Apart from the old " I *personally* like Windows/*nix better")
adapterer
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Well, KVM got really hot due to all the OpenStack madness in the past years, but now that it's largely over as people woke up to reality re: OpenStack, the biggest reason to use KVM is gone indeed. I still think it has the future, but only in proprietary architectures like Nutanix AHV.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:31 pm

I (and many providers I talk to) honestly disagree with this, but I have a feeling it will become a long discussion that is not suitable to be done in public. It's not just free vs free, you also have to consider all the linux ecosystem and skills of It admins that can be leveraged with kvm, and this is a plus for many.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1280 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Luca, I think we actually agree with each other, because I do consider each purpose-build service provider cloud a "proprietary architecture" too. Because it really is a different LEGO house from one to another.

Just as you noted, KVM requires certain special skills from IT admins. Nutanix is reasonably successful with AHV because they abstract you from these complexities, providing a solution "for everyone" without requiring the existing linux ecosystem and skills in-house. And service providers simply have those skills in-house already anyway - so KVM allows them to even better leverage their existing expertise to save even more money. And considering their business is about saving pennies (and fractions of pennies), no doubt they are excited to get to use something else that is "free".
Gostev
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication