Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Is Veeam managing backups/retention points of deleted jobs?

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

for some reasons we had to move from a legacy copy job to a new copy job.
The old copy job is disabled now and we removed all its objects, new one is running.
We kept same settings and same objects in new job. Only difference is target folder on target destination. The new job uses a new folder, since foldername is same as jobname.

Is Veeam still managing these backups/retention points in this old folder. There should happen a cleaning of older retention points according to the policy with which there were created.
Otherwise i expect these files are not deleted and copy target will run out of free space next days.

Thanks,
Hans
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Is Veeam managing backups/retention points of deleted jobs?

Post by tdewin » 1 person likes this post

Yes, this is called background retention. You can read about it here : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

One note here - the background retention processes the restore points with daily retention and GFS backups. If the retention was defined as restore points to keep there is no way to understand the correct expiration date, so you have to remove such backups manually.
HansMeiser
Enthusiast

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

it seems that background retention will not work here, because already first point is problematic "Backup Repositories with Rotated Drives". copy target is a raid of rotating hdds.
Also some restore points to keep were defined, so i think i have to delete some backups manually to free space.
Is there a safe way to remove x oldest points from all Backups within the old job? Currently we have 12 retention points, lets say remove oldest one for each backup to free up some disk space.

Thanks,
Hans
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hans,
it seems that background retention will not work here, because already first point is problematic "Backup Repositories with Rotated Drives". copy target is a raid of rotating hdds.
You are right - there is no way to remove the restore points for RD when RD is disconnected, so right now background retention does not cover rotated drives.
Is there a safe way to remove x oldest points from all Backups within the old job? Currently we have 12 retention points, lets say remove oldest one for each backup to free up some disk space.
There is no such logic I am afraid, the only option is to lower the retention value but it will affect other rotated drives too. The best option would be to start a new backup chain on the rotated drive as soon as the data is expired completely (basically manually delete the data on the drive).
HansMeiser
Enthusiast

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

lowering retention value is possible, but original job is disabled and its targets are removed. iam afraid this will not work.
Iam surprised that veeam has no explicit support for this to avoid running out of diskspace. This can happen in vairous conditions. I would like to have a possibility to remove specific restorepoints, not pnly deleting full chain.

Thanks,
Hans
HansMeiser
Enthusiast

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

could this be a solution?
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

So i understand that i have to delete some files wich i think belong to a chain and can be removed without really losses.
Than i run the command to forget about this restore point and should solve my problem.
Currently it looks like this: https://ibb.co/f9qnXRr and i find fitting 13 files for this VM in my folder
No problem for me to thin out the restore points, there are already too much.

Thanks,
Hans