Is veeam selling my details to spammers?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Is veeam selling my details to spammers?

Veeam Logoby skrause » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:23 pm 1 person likes this post

I have been getting a lot of "Register today for Sharepoint training" emails that when I click the unsubscribe link shows information that matches what I had on my registration at VeeamON 2014.

My assumption was that one of the Expo vendors that scanned my badge for whatever piece of swag I decided I had to have at that moment (free booze makes things like can coozies seem so much cooler than normal) had contracted with someone who used that info for all of their email marketing customers.
skrause
Expert

Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:47 pm

I started getting similar SharePoint spam in early January, but I've never been to VeeamON. I don't track work email like 1971merlin does. (I do it with my personal email, though.) So, I can't say what the source of these was. I blocked them in our spam filter. If they sent more, I wouldn't know.
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Marc K

Veeam Logoby dominix » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:51 pm

Gostev wrote:This forum is actually completely standalone and is currently NOT integrated with any single Veeam system.

To my knowledge, the forum has never been hacked to date - and besides, it seems too much work just to get emails anyway - when you can simply sniff SMTP traffic and capturing all emails this way? The server running this forum runs in Amazon along with a whole bunch of other servers in the same network infrastructure...

I did NOT suspect this forum ... I have taked about VEEAM has I have used some email adresse only with veeam account.
dominix
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: dominix

Veeam Logoby 1971merlin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:15 am

FYI I've never been to VeeamON either. Don't think this is the source [in my case] at least.

Any updates from VEEAM? I've had no response after forwarding examples spams to VEEAM as requested.
1971merlin
Influencer

Full Name: Craig Hart

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:24 am

If I hear anything I will be sure to update - the investigation is done by the different department (backend systems) and we're from R&D :D
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2266 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby filippot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:26 pm

We are receiving too spam directed to the email address we have used for Veeam product registration.
Have you found the source of the problem?

Ciao,
Filippo
filippot
Lurker

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication