Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rowdy
Enthusiast
Liked: never

IsSnapShotInProgress error

Post by rowdy »

On two VM's I receive the following error when using VSS with Veeam v5:

Freezing guest operating system
VSSControl: IsSnapshotInProgress failed. Transaction logs will not be truncated.
RPC function call failed. Function name: [IsSnapshotInProgress]. Target machine: [172.18.0.23].
RPC error:The RPC server is unavailable.
Code: 1722

I have the correct username and password setup for VSS.

Any suggestions?
One VM is Windows XP SP3, the other is Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition. Both are not joined to a domain, all my other VM's are.
Alexey D.

Re: IsSnapShotInProgress error

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello,

It seems like the RPC service on these VMs is unavailable. Could you please check with Windows Event logs if you have any RPC related errors?
rowdy
Enthusiast

Post by rowdy »

Sorry for the late response (Holidays!).

No RPC errors in either Windows logfile.
Also, the Windows 2008 machine is based off the same template as all the others, only those are joined to the domain (after deploying template of course) and this one wasn't. If I enter wrong credentials on purpose I get an error message saying that, so I don't know why this is happening.
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

If that machine is off the domain then those credentials won't work since you are presumably supplying a domain account.

Have you tried specifying a local admin account on that machine as credentials instead? You can specify per-vm account credentials in the job properties.
rowdy
Enthusiast

Post by rowdy »

Hello Bunce,

Yes, I did that and tried all formats of entering it (with/without machine name\ etc.).
When I enter it wrong, I get a message telling me username/password is invalid. When I enter it right, I get this other error message.
rowdy
Enthusiast

Post by rowdy »

I keep having this and tried everything I could think of. Any more suggestions from anyone?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

What happens here is direct network connection can be established to a VM, so Veeam B&R uses that for application-aware processing (old style) instead of failing over to networkless operation (new v5 style). However, RPC is blocked or something, which results in failure. If you can block network access to this VM from Veeam Backup server completely, this should fix the issue. Otherwise, as far as I know there is hotfix for version 5.0.1 in the works that should make the code failover to networless operation when something like this happens. Thanks!
rhnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Allan Nelson

Post by rhnb »

I've got this error too since v5. So, should I be blocking access to all my Windows VM's to fix this issue?
When is the hot-fix due?
Cheeers... Allan.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

The error is not specific to v5, as with RPC blocked you would get the same error with v4. One way is to fix the actual issue and let RPC through the firewall to make RPC connectivity between backup server and VM possible. Another workaround is to block network connectivity from backup server to VM completely. To be notified on hot fix availability, you should open a support case. Thanks!
rhnb
Enthusiast

Post by rhnb »

Well I beg to differ - somethings changed in v5 to v4 behaviour.
In v4 I got the RPC error but then the backup completed.
In v5 I get the error and ... that's it.

I'll open a support case to add to my growing list of open support cases.

Cheers... Allan.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

May be your job settings in v4 were set to continue even if guest freeze fails? Anyhow, since apparently according to what you just said you never had guest processing working for this VM anyway even before with v4, I would recommend simply disabling guest processing for this specific VM alltogether in the advanced settings of the corresponding wizard step. Thanks!
rhnb
Enthusiast

Post by rhnb »

I've just been informed by tech support that the hotfix for this was included in v5.0.1, which I'm on but was still seeing this issue. However, blocking all access from the Veeam backups servers to these VM's seems to have fixed my problem.
Cheeers... allan.
rhnb
Enthusiast

Post by rhnb »

Some confusion - looks like this particular hotfix isn't in 5.0.1 after all...

From tech support...
"I apologize for the confusion, your error messages resembled a hotfix we had from 5.0.0.179 to 5.0.1 for SQL 2000 servers and you also stated a hotfix was being worked on, so I assumed it was an older post as we see this very often. Our support team has not been informed of a hotfix for this exact issue as of yet. The confusion was on my behalf of your initial ticket creation as we see this very often asking about an older hotfix."