Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eitc_hl
Influencer
Liked: never

Issue with transforming backup B&R job

Post by eitc_hl »

hello,

I have configured a backup job which has been running fine during the week doing incrementals. It got to the weekend where it is configured to do a synthetic full on a Saturday and then transform the previous incremental in to roll backs. This has now been running for 21 hours and is at 7%. All the servers seem to have backed up successfully prior. The backup job in total is quite large (around 17TB's)

Is the job configured correctly and in its optimum way? I have always used reversed incremental jobs before but due to the size I wanted to ensure that it would complete as fast as possible.

So not sure what to do, should I leave the roll backs on, or switch to reverse incremental? I am going to need a full back up to run tomorrow evening so whatever happens it needs to have finished by then.

Looking for advise to see if this is set up the right or best way, I did seek advice initially and was advised either or would be fine.

Thanks!
eitc_hl
Influencer

Re: Issue with transforming backup B&R job

Post by eitc_hl »

Can i switch it or will I have to start the job again from scratch - hoping not as it will be painful!!

Thanks again
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'm not sure whether you can cancel the job during transformation stage from UI, most likely you would need to restart the backup server for it. If you then switch the backup method to reverse, the next job run will create a full backup next to existing backup chain.

What kind of target storage do you have? Basically, on synthetic full days the backup method you've selected is the hardest one in terms of I/O it puts on target storage.
eitc_hl
Influencer

Post by eitc_hl »

Hi there,

It is a NAS storage device with SATA drives, presented to the server using iSCSI and 2 x 1GB links and MPIO. The NAS is used for nothing else.

I guess I am seeking what is the best method given my scenario, I really do not want to have to start again if I can avoid it. The transformation has hung at 7% even today, i believe this is because one of the incremental backup files is very lareg (7TB's) as there were a couple of servers that had failed in the initial full backup so these went in later.

I am thinking of calling support, however would welcome your advice. I am going to reboot the server anyway.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If reverse incremental allows you to meet you backup window (since the synthetic activity is performed daily but on a less scale), you can switch to this mode. Otherwise, consider forward incremental mode with weekly active fulls instead of synthetic ones.
eitc_hl
Influencer

Post by eitc_hl »

Hi thanks for the response.

The problem is, I don't know if it will meet our backup window, I don't want to be in the position where it doesnt and then we have to start again from scratch. What do you think?

What works best with backup copy jobs or dos it not matter as planning to set up a backup copy job linked to each job thereafter.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

eitc_hl wrote:The problem is, I don't know if it will meet our backup window, I don't want to be in the position where it doesnt and then we have to start again from scratch. What do you think?
You can check and switch to forward incremental any time you need, without starting from scratch.
eitc_hl wrote:What works best with backup copy jobs or dos it not matter as planning to set up a backup copy job linked to each job thereafter.
Forward incremental is a better source for backup copy in terms of performance, however, backup copy will work fine with both.
eitc_hl
Influencer

Post by eitc_hl »

I appreciate your feedback, thank you