Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jfragoso
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jose Fragoso

Issues upgrading to Veeam B&R 6.1 from 6.0

Post by jfragoso »

Hi,

I want to share my experience upgrading V6.1. I had problems during the upgrade because i missed the correct user account with database rights. I made sure that i have my DB backups, i checked the release notes and i was following the instructions but, during the promps i missed the correct user account and the installation failed; i received a message that will roll back everything but, it didnt; in my server the Veeam v6 was gone and the upgrade installer did a change in the Database but, i didnt know that yet.

I had to reinstall several times veeam 6.1 trying to find the issue, checking logs until i decided to restore the database from my backups; i did that, run the installer and whoolaaa, everything was working for me without problems. I had my jobs, configuration, everything.

I made a mistake during veeam upgrade but, it is something wrong when a user messed up "like me". The installer shouldnt touch the database. The screen error that i was receiving when i was reinstalling Veeam and it wasnt working was:

"Microsoft SQL server hosting the configuration database is currently unavailable. Possible reasons are heavy load, networking issue, server reboot, or hot backup. " Procedure or function AddBaseSession....." (I didnt take a screenshot of this error....)

Thanks God i have my backups and current ones (I verified before the upgrade). Tonight, i am going to test the backups and check any speed improvements!!

Jose Fragoso
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Issues upgrading to Veeam B&R 6.1 from 6.0

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jose,

Could you please tell me at what step you have provided wrong user credentials that led to the situation described above?

Thanks!
jfragoso
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jose Fragoso

Post by jfragoso » 1 person likes this post

Hi vitaliy,

Sure. I am using the Veeam_B&R_Setup_x64 downloaded from the veeam website; My server is a Windows 2008 R2.

I was logged in to windows with my username (admin rights) and my username had admin rights to the database.
1. I ran the setup
2. I received a question pop up window telling me "Older Version of Veeam Backup & Replication is already installed on this computer. Wuold you like to upgrade it". I said YES.
3. I hit next to the welcome screen.
4. I accepted the the terms of the license agreement and i hit next.
5. I want to install the three features (Managment console, catalog service and powershell snap-in) and i hit next.
6. I selected the exisiting SQL Server instance and SQL database.
7. I received a question pop up windows telling me "Selected SQL Server instance already has Veeam Backup and Replication configuration database present. Click YES to connect to Veeam B&R installation to the existing database....." I hit yes.
8. I received a pop up window asking for the credentials; this step is where i messed up: i used a username without rights to the SQL database. I Used and exisiting account without rights to the SQL Database and i hit next.
9. File locations Windows: I did the defaults and i hit next.
10. Te upgrade started and it was almost finishin when i received a message that the upgrade was failed and it will undo everything. The Veeam application was gone. had to reinstall several times veeam 6.1 trying to find the issue, checking logs until i decided to restore the database from my backups; i did that, run the installer and whoolaaa, everything was working for me without problems. I had my jobs, configuration, everything.

I hope you are able to duplicate this scenario. Let me know if you have any questions.

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jose,

Our setup does perform an account validation check before upgrading the database, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect to the SQL Server.

Could you please tell us whether this was a remote SQL Server or not? Do you possibly have any logs we could review?

Thanks!