Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
matt_tulk
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt

Issues with Access denied on Veem Backup #01789067

Post by matt_tulk »

Hi

I am hoping some intelligent forum people might be able assist with this problem as I have had a ticket open with Veeam support for over two weeks and have made repeated requests for them to log in and look at this issue which never seems to be able to occur.
I then need to chase them down consistently to get any sort of support that isn’t an article sent over email on trying to resolve a problem that you have already attempted.

I have two ADFS servers both Windows 2012 64 bit. We are running Veeam Backup and Replication 8.0.0.2084
Server 1 errors – workgroup server not on the domain
18/05/2016 9:13:20 PM: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors:
'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [xxx.xxx.xxx]. Account: Win32 error: Access is denied.
Code: 5
Now I know that under normal circumstances this is obviously a permission problem as the Veeam agent can’t access Admin$ directory but in this case it has a local account on the server and was previously working credentials same as the domain Veeam account.
The domain account that is used for ALL the Veeam backup does not have a password that expires or the account does not expire.
This account is also a member of the local admin group on this server and below server. The local Veeam accounts are all ok with password set to not expire and accounts are active.

Server 2 – workgroup server not on the domain
18/05/2016 9:13:20 PM: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors:
'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [xxxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx]. Account: [xxx\srv-veeam].
Win32 error:Access is denied.
Code: 5
as you can see the second server has pretty much identical errors.

Both the servers have had the firewalls disabled and turned off but these servers were previously working in the past. The only thing we have done is move them to a new storage array and blade if
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Issues with Access denied on Veem Backup #01789067

Post by foggy »

Matt, a couple of basic questions: are you able to connect to the host's administrative share from the backup server under the same account specified in the job? Are VMware Tools up-to-date on those VMs? Is UAC enabled in the guest OS?
matt_tulk
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt

Post by matt_tulk »

Foggy

sorry I was able to resolve this with the help of our consultant in answer to the above YES to all but all that needed to occur on this was to turn off application aware processing on the folder level for these VMs in question.

as soon as the support rep found out that I was not able to connect to admin$ using the Veeam account he right away did his best to put this down to an authentication issues rather then having a look at how it was configured originally.

All that need to happen was look at what we were trying to do and It was a pretty simple fix.

another Veeam Support Failure and it took 3 weeks to reach this point.

I wont be logging tickets in future as they don't get resolved and clearly the level of engineers they have are not up to scratch.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

matt_tulk wrote:all that needed to occur on this was to turn off application aware processing on the folder level for these VMs in question.
This cannot be considered a fix in any way, since without application-aware image processing your applications are not backed up in a consistent state (VSS is not used). So I'd investigate this further.