Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

[MERGED] Incremental with synthetic full / restore points

Veeam Logoby EBoucq » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:57 am

Hello,

I set up a job in Veeam v8 with these settings:
- Incremental (from Monday to Saturday)
- synthetic full backup every Saturday
- Restore points: 12

I'm running out of space on my repository and when I look at the backup for this job, I see:
- 16 restore points
- 3 full
- I still have a restore point for the 16/05 that shouldn't be here in my opinion.

Here is the backup properties: https://gyazo.com/8348e8ebaa526b2ef2eef91f64089ce5

I feel like I have too many restore points. Could you help me clarify this situation ? Should I change the type of backup so it doesn't take as much space, knowing I don't want to switch to reversed incremental because then the backup lasts too long. Can I "cleanup" some backup files ?

Thanks.
Eric
EBoucq
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

Re: Incremental with synthetic full / restore points

Veeam Logoby EBoucq » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:14 am

One more thing: what if I change the job to a forever incremental backup by disabling the synthetic full ? Can I do that now ?
What will happen to the full backup files ? I only have 1.8 TB left on my repository. Is it enough for the switch ?

Thank you !!
EBoucq
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:18 am 1 person likes this post

Hello Eric,
Based on the description and screenshot VBR works as expected. Since you have 3 backup chains (Full+ forward increments), the oldest points can`t be deleted as it will make the whole chain up to 20/05 restore point useless. The chain is to be deleted by retention when all restore points of the chain are not protected by retention.
To save repository space I would switching to forever forward backup method to have exact number of restore points all the time and just one full backup.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 396 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:21 am 1 person likes this post

Wrote my first reply same time you submitted the second post :)
EBoucq wrote:One more thing: what if I change the job to a forever incremental backup by disabling the synthetic full ? Can I do that now ?
What will happen to the full backup files ? I only have 1.8 TB left on my repository. Is it enough for the switch ?
Thank you !!

Older backup files will go in accordance to their retention. New chain is going to work with no issues, you don`t need any extra repository space. So yes, you can switch.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby EBoucq » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:39 am 1 person likes this post

Thanks again for your (always) quick and efficient replies !
You guys rock !

Eric
EBoucq
Expert

Re: Job Set for 14 Mount Points - 46 exist

Veeam Logoby EBoucq » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:47 pm

The job ran tonight with the new setting: forever forward backup (since I've disabled the synthetic full)
Here is the situation: https://gyazo.com/f446f9fb6e8bec5d76b009612c385e64

If I understood well, a forever incremental backup just needs one full. So, in my case, I still have 3 full. Which one will be come the only full backup ?
Until when will I still see an increasing number of restore points ? Tonight I have 17 ones but I set the job to 12.
Thanks.
Eric
EBoucq
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:21 am

Until when will I still see an increasing number of restore points ?

Until there are 12 restore points, starting from the latest full backup. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:03 am

After the next run the oldest chain (Full+5 increments) should be deleted and in a week the second chain will also go so you will have 1 full + 12 increments.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

[MERGED] More restore points than expected?

Veeam Logoby Soze » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Hello,

I made a backup job and I said this: 7 restore points. I do the backup Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday and I do a full backup Synthetic Periodically on Sunday.

Now, when I look restore points to restore a file, I see that I am 9 dining options.

Is this normal?

Thank you !
Soze
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Florian

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Florian, yes, this is expected with forward incremental mode. Please see above for explanation.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Soze » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:47 am

Hello, i don't understand all explanation (sorry, bad in english).
I try a job with 1 restore point to keep on disk. On this job i have 10 VMs. All vm have 8 restore point each ...

Why they are not deleted ? Loose lot of storage
Soze
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Florian

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:00 am

With the specified retention settings, restore points exceeding retention will be deleted on a Sunday. Kindly, check this animation; should give a general idea how retention works for forward incremental chains. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Too Many Restorepoints on Disk

Veeam Logoby WinstonWolf » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:54 am

Hello ,

We have an big Problem .
We have an Backup to Disk Job in which a SQL Server was inserted . Therefore the SQL Logfile Backup runs under "Application Aware Processing" for this Job .
So, but when an new SQL Database is created or something on an SQL Database is changed then the SQL Logfile Backup Job makes trouble .
I become the Message : Collected SQL Server transaction logs do not match any existing database backup: MPLInterfaceDB;
So ok - now i make an Active Full Backup and the Problem is solved . Yes this Problem but i run in another Problem .

I have defined 30 Restorepoints for this Job in the Retention Policy , but meanwhile i have 40 Restore Points on this Job and the ISCSI Drive runs Full of Data Backup Files . This must come from the Active Full Job i make against the SQL Logfile Problem.

I opend an Ticket on Veeam Site , but Sorry Veeam , we as Company have an expensive Enterprise Plus Support Agreement. And i dont want to become Konowledgebase Article back when i have big Problems and i ask about Help !!!!!
Veeam Sent me this KB : https://www.veeam.com/kb1932 , sorry but id dont understand this Article.
I wrote Veeam Support to become Help , but i wait now till yesterday Morning.

Ticket Number : ID# 01892504]

I hope here i become Help , because Veeam Support fails in this Case .

Thanks
Michael
WinstonWolf
Expert

Liked: 4 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:04 am

I have defined 30 Restorepoints for this Job in the Retention Policy , but meanwhile i have 40 Restore Points on this Job and the ISCSI Drive runs Full of Data Backup Files . This must come from the Active Full Job i make against the SQL Logfile Problem.

You're using one of the forever modes, right? Reversed incremental or forward forever incremental one?

By creating a new full backup you've started a backup chain anew, meaning, you will have to wait till there are 30 points, starting from the latest full backup.

The provided KB article in indeed a correct one, check how retention policy works for forward incremental mode with periodic full backups (by creating a new full you've simulated that situation).

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby WinstonWolf » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:05 pm

I used the forever Incremental Job , without syntetic full and without active Full Backups .

What should i do now to reduce the Restorepoints to 30 instead of 40 ?

Thanks
Michael
WinstonWolf
Expert

Liked: 4 times

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication