Job Set for 14 Mount Points - 46 exist

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Restore Points not being deleted according to the schedule ?

Veeam Logoby Titanmike » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:15 pm

[merged]

All the backup jobs in this environment are configured to run incremental backups and only run a full backup once a week (Saturday) with the retention set to 2 days

(no synthetic full or reverse incremental)

However, as you can see it keeps more than 2 restore points .. including two full backups

As a result we are running into disk space issues. The question now

1. Why aren't the old restore points being deleted.
2. How can I safely remove points from the chain ?

Thanks
Titanmike
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: ZeGerman

Re: Job Set for 14 Mount Points - 46 exist

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:11 pm

1. The old restore points are not being deleted because you set the job to keep 2 restore points, which in turn requires us to keep whole previous chain (as the last 2 incremental restore points are dependent on previous full and all increments). This is not something specific to Veeam - just the basics of incremental backup.

2. By definition of incremental backup, there is no possibility to delete specific restore points from incremental backup chain. If you need to delete previous restore points, you can only delete whole chain (full and all related increments). However, this will put you out of compliance with your own retention policy, where you said you want to keep previous 2 restore points always available.

Incremental backup mode is not very disk-space efficient, which is why we provide transform option for it, as well as reversed-incremental backup mode. Both allow you to keep only 1 full backup on disk at any given moment, as well as delete older restore points immediately as they fall out of scope of retention policy. There is detailed comparison of all backup modes we provide available in sticky FAQ topic that covers all pros and cons of each mode.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam B&R 5.0

Veeam Logoby jorgene » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:49 am

[merged]

Hi,

I have a weird issue regarding a Backup Job.
We have scheduled backups of a couple of WM's Mon-Fri. (One Job)
14 Days Retention Policy.
Backup Mode Incremental (Enabled synthetic full on Saturday)

Now when i look in the backup destination folder i only have VIB files and ALOT of them(way beond the retention policy), no VBK files.
So it seems like Syntectic full on Saturday don't work, and that's why i have so many VIB files.

How should i proceed to troubbleshoot this ? Which log file should i look in ?
Can i force a synthetic full backup?
Note* When i looked into Schedule it was set to Run Automatically "on these days" with Mon-Fri selected.
I changed it to Run automatically "on week days" instead (will that solve the problem with synthetic full backup not running on saturday) ?
jorgene
Enthusiast

Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Jorgen Eriksson

Question on Restore Points

Veeam Logoby kmille1398 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:43 pm

[merged]

Hi,

I am currently running Veeam Backup & Replication 5.02. Love the product, but am constantly fighting disk space issues. We run Synthetic Fulls to run on the weekend. As an example, if I have a Full job run for a set of Windows 2003 server VMs, on Friday, and Incrementals that run Monday-Friday the following week, with a new Synthetic Full to be created that night. If the number of Restore points to keep on Disk were set to 1, when that new Synthetic Full got created, would all previous incrementals and the previous Full VBK file get deleted by Veeam? Ideally, we would like to keep one Full VBK and 4 incremental VIB files for any backup job on the disk. We run Full backups to tape on Sunday, and back up the incremental VIBs to tape each night as well. Those tapes then go offsite, and could be recalled if we ever had to go back longer than 1 week to restore a VM or guest files from a VM backup. Our corporate retention policy is 6 weeks for all backups. So, our thought is to have 1 week of VM backups on the disk, and the rest on tape if we need to recall it.

Right now the Restore Points to keep on disk is set to 5, but I think that leaves open the scenario to have more than one VBK file on the disk at any one time, which we do not want. That is why I was thinking of changing that number to 1.

Thanks,

Kevin
kmille1398
Influencer

Restore Points

Veeam Logoby George » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 am

[merged]

Hi Guys,

Some questions for you...

I have a backup running at the moment and under Retention Policy i have set the restore points to 3 from 7. So what i was expecting was for the redundant 4 generations to be delete off or removed from my backup repository. The reason i am doing this is because of space issues. Is there a way i can reduce down the number of generations and allow for surplus generations to be deleted via the backup software and not have to manually go and remove them.

Let me know if you need more clarification or anything.

Thanks
George
Influencer

Full Name: George

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Are you using forward incremental? If so, previous VBK and VIB files need to te kept on disk even if expired until the last VIB served by the first VBK also expires. Check the user guide about Retention policies and how they apply to forward incremental.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

[MERGED] Restore Points limit doesnt work

Veeam Logoby prointernet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:38 am

Hi Veeam,

i have a JOB (v6.5) with restore point limit set to 14 but it doesnt work. I have 45 points in my backup file at the moment.
Is there a way to start a consolidation job maybe via powershell? I dont want to create a new full backup ...

Job Settings:
Incremental with local SATA Storage
- Synthetic fulls on Saturday
- Transofmr previous full backup chains into rollbacks ...

Sebastian
prointernet
Lurker

Full Name: prointernet

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Sebastian,

How many VBK files (full backups) do you have on the target repository?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Reduce the number of restore points

Veeam Logoby JamesHorsfield » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:51 am

Hi,

I've got quick question with regards to the the number of restore points.

We have a 4TB backup share on a netapp box, i've set a full backup on the first sat of the month and incremental backups.
The Retention policy is set to 15 days.

If im correct that will mean there will be 30 files or 32 ?(vib & vbk) on the backup share?

I dont have much space left and i fear it may run out of space before veeam removes some of the old backups. (Veeam will remove the old files and free up space if they are not needed yes?)

Can I reduce the number of restore points to 10 by editing the backup job in veeam and when this job runs tonight will it remove the uneeded restore points? Also will the restore if needed still work for the remaining restore points?

Thanks,

James.
JamesHorsfield
Novice

Full Name: James Horsfield

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:13 am

James, please review this thread for better understanding of forward incremental mode specifics. Basically, if you need to clean up some space, you should perform a full backup and decrease the retention parameter. After creating the specified number of restore points, Veeam B&R will delete all unneeded files.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby JamesHorsfield » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks for merging this thread :) it made interesting reading. It has given me a slightly better understadning of incremental backups.

But how would you setup a backup schedule to do a full backup every two weeks and keep 14 days worth of data. I understand that there would be a cross over of 2 weeks waiting for the incrementals to become out of the retention policy.

F= full & I = Incremental
Sat - Fri
WK1
F I I I I I I

WK 2
I I I I I I I

WK 3
F I I I I I I

WK 4
I I I I I I I

I can only set and active full backup on the **** of the month or weekly on scheduled days? By doing this this would not give me the above?

Thanks,
James.
JamesHorsfield
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:39 pm

JamesHorsfield wrote:But how would you setup a backup schedule to do a full backup every two weeks and keep 14 days worth of data. I understand that there would be a cross over of 2 weeks waiting for the incrementals to become out of the retention policy.

Correct. You will have something from 14 to 28 restore points on disk depending on the day of the week.

JamesHorsfield wrote:I can only set and active full backup on the **** of the month or weekly on scheduled days? By doing this this would not give me the above?

It doesn't matter which type of full backup you perform (synthetic or active), retention policy works identically in both cases.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby JamesHorsfield » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Thank you for your help.

I've edited the backup job to do 1 full backup every saturday and 6 incrementals with a retention policy of 7 days which would give me between 7 - 14 days worth of backups which will pretty much fill my backup share with a little room for extra virtual machines etc if they are created.

I'll remove the older backups manually if they are not removed tonight.

Thanks.

James.
JamesHorsfield
Novice

[MERGED] : Backup Retention

Veeam Logoby Rumple » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:34 am

I am running 6.5 and configured my jobs to keep 7 restores on disk..
I have configured the jobs with Incremental with Synthetic fulls on Saturday. I do NOT have the transform previous full backups chains enabled

I was looking at my backups and realized I have 34 backups available for one of the jobs (and most others have at least 17 depending on when I created them)
Methinks something isn't working as expected or I've done something wrong...
When I look at the backups on disk and tried a restore i am not seeing anything but the initial full and incrementals...shouldn't I be seeing a synthetic full every saturday at the very least?
Rumple
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 am

Hello.

Can you confirm how many .VBK-files do you have on your target repository? It seems like you have only one .VBK and lots of .VIB-files.

Your backup mode is set to be forward incremental, thus, the retention policy will be used after you create another .VBK-file(full backup) and run the job at least 6 times (incremental). As soon as you’ve done this, make sure your synthetic fulls are scheduled to run at least once a week.

By the way, did you job start on Saturday or it didn’t (this information can be seen via session logs)?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication