Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Re: Job Set for 14 Mount Points - 46 exist

Post by Rumple »

Initial job was created on a saturday by looks of it with the forward incremental...and yes, I do only have a single vbk file and the rest are incrementals. I will run another full manually and see what happens

Well F-WORD
Just ran that job and the god damn thing failed

12/14/2012 8:32:23 PM :: Windows2008R2 is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional.

Every VM in the job is now skipped and i get the above message...and all I did is run active-full...FFS...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

This message would indicate that something else has happened with the infrastructure before you ran active full. This could also be a temporary condition (occasionally, vCenter/ESXi would not return the list of VMs correctly) - in this case, next run will just work.

If you still have issues, please create a new topic and include your support case ID (as this issue is offtopic for this thread).
EnriquePhoenix
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Enrique Rivera

Post by EnriquePhoenix »

"Be aware, when you run your synthetic fulls you must schedule them to run on a day when you run backups or they never happen. For example, in the above scenario, if you scheduled backups to occur on M-F..but checked the box for a Saturday synthetic full, since the job won't launch on Saturday, the synethetic fulls never get created. Thus, you end up with tons of incrementals...which can never clear out as you cannot delete the very fist Full..which all subsequent incrementals depend upon."

Is this correct? I did not realize this
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

This was correct prior to v6.1 (as far as I remember), right now synthetic full backup will run on the specified day just as you want it to, periodic job schedule does not matter.
briggs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan Thompson

[MERGED] Not deleting restore points?

Post by briggs »

Hi,
The retension policy of some of our backups is set to just 2, with forward incrementals. Does Veeam not delete the old files? We still have lots of .vib files on the backup target disk? Does it not remove these automatically???
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Alan, please review the existing topic you've been merged into for explanation of the number of restore points stored on disk when using forward incremental backup mode. If you still need any further clarification, feel free to ask here. Thanks.
cgeorge
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Carol George

[MERGED] : Restore point to keep.

Post by cgeorge »

A have a backup job running to backup some vm's and I set the retention policy to 7, and Enable synthetic fulls on Friday.
But when I look under Backups - disk I see 13 restore points?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Carol.

Your post has been merged into existing discussion regarding number of restore points that are kept when forward incremental mode is used. So, kindly, take a look at the answers provided above, and ask if additional help is needed.

Thanks.
cgeorge
Veeam ProPartner

[MERGED] : help on retention policy

Post by cgeorge »

I have a vm (exchange on it) that i backup to a cifs share, with backupmode Incremental and a synthetic full on Friday.
the retention policy is 5 restore points on disk.
The strang thing is that i have 10 restore points.
I have 2 full and 8 incrementals?

How do I have to see this??
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Carol, your post has been merged into existing discussion. So, kindly take a look at the answers provided above that describe how retention policy works in case of forward incremental mode. Don’t hesitate to let us know, if any additional help be needed.

Thanks.
cgeorge
Veeam ProPartner

Post by cgeorge »

I still have problems getting this right.
How can I setup the retention sow I can restore 2 weeks back?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Set 14 as a retention policy and create synthetic or active full backup once a week. Though, please, be aware that sometimes number of restore points will exceed the specified value.

I’d also recommend reviewing corresponding section of User Guide that might shed a little more light on how retention policy works in both backup methods.

Thanks.
nexus
Novice
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] : Retention policy ignored

Post by nexus »

Hi,
I am using Backup & Replication version 7.0.0.715 with 2 Backup jobs. First jobs is configurated to use 7 restore points, second 4.
Each jobs not delete old backup.
My first job, now have 9 restore point, second job 7. How to remove old points ?
Thanks

Nexus
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What backup mode is being used by both jobs? It seems that it’s forward incremental mode.

For more clarification regarding how retention policy works in case of forward incremental mode, kindly, see answers provided above. Thanks.
nexus
Novice

Post by nexus »

I am using Incremental (every day) with "Enable sythetic fulls" (every days) without "Active full backup"
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So, you have like 9 .vbk files stored on disk, right? If so, the specified retention period should have been definitely applied. Thus, I recommend contacting our support team and letting them investigate this unexpected behavior directly.

Additionally, do you have any specific reasons for specifying such untypical active/synthetic full settings? Generally, it’s advised to run synthetic once a week, not once a day.

Thanks.
nexus
Novice

Post by nexus »

Hi Eremin,
currently, i have 11 restore point (7 files +.vib, 4 files*.vbk, 1 file *.vbm) for first job, and 8 for second (5 files +.vib, 3 files*.vbk, 1 file *.vbm).
The correct "untypical active / synthetic" setting in one day (today) without positive results.. restore point is increse
Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

nexus wrote:currently, i have 11 restore point (7 files +.vib, 4 files*.vbk, 1 file *.vbm) for first job, and 8 for second (5 files +.vib, 3 files*.vbk, 1 file *.vbm).
With synthetic full set for every day you should have VBK file created each day, no VIBs. So something went wrong in both cases (seems like synthetic full was not performed on some days). Worth contacting support.
nexus wrote:The correct "untypical active / synthetic" setting in one day (today) without positive results.. restore point is increse
How have you "corrected" your settings?
nexus
Novice

Post by nexus »

My currently configuration is :
- first job : backup every day - Retention policy = 4, synthetic fulls = Saturday
- second job : backup : M,T,W,T, F - Retention policy = 4, synthetic fulls = Friday

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, it means that obsolete backup data will be deleted on the next Tuesday and Wednesday (1st job - November 5th, 2nd job - November 4th), according to the specified retention policy.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

nexus wrote:- first job : backup every day - Retention policy = 4, synthetic fulls = Saturday
With this setup you will have from 4 (on Tuesday) to 10 (on Monday) backup files in your repository on different days of the week.
nexus wrote:- second job : backup : M,T,W,T, F - Retention policy = 4, synthetic fulls = Friday
With this setup you will have from 4 (on Wednesday) to 9 (on Thursday) backup files in your repository on different days of the week.
nexus
Novice

Post by nexus »

I do not understand...I thought today for 1st job (start job today 20:30 ), and friday for 2nd job november 1th

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Retention policy is applied at the end of each backup job run and ensures that the required number of restore points exists in repository. If there are some restore points that fall out of retention and can be deleted (given they are not required to restore from the subsequent restore points), they will be removed according to retention.
nexus
Novice

Post by nexus »

I have 11 restore points, I changed from 7 to 4 so (1st job) it should start to clear? right?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes:
foggy wrote:If there are some restore points that fall out of retention and can be deleted (given they are not required to restore from the subsequent restore points), they will be removed according to retention.
What Vladimir meant here was that the newly created (starting today) restore points will be deleted on the days specified above in his post.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As mentioned above, the newly-specified retention policy will take effect on Tuesday and Wednesday (1st job - November 5th, 2nd job - November 4th). For more understanding how retention policy works in case of forward incremental mode I recommend you reviewing corresponding section of our User Guide; might be helpful.

Thanks.
nexus
Novice

Post by nexus » 1 person likes this post

this night were eliminated old restore point on each job process.
From 11 restore point on the 1st jobs currently have 6, 2nd jobs from 8 to 4.
appearance Monday
Thank all
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Since now everything seems to be specified correctly, the previously shown issue shouldn’t show up any longer. Thanks.
nexus
Novice

Post by nexus »

I think ..
Thanks
chrisBrindley
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] : Retention Period is not working

Post by chrisBrindley »

I just ran into what could be a devastating issue for our company, we are a hosting company and have contracts signed based on backup retention, we have several customer that request 28 day retention, i just looked at the jobs and it has only saved 21 days, so we have 21 restore points even though the job was setup 3 months ago, I really hope one of these customers doesn't call in and request a restore past the 21 day mark.
I then noticed we have a job that has 14 day retention set and every server has over 70 restore points.
If i setup a job and request 10, 20, 30 day retention then i want to assume thats what i get, how can the software screw this up? I have a ticket opened and await an answer why. I was wondering if anyone else see this, I am on vmware 5.1 and Veeam 7.0 R2