Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Job Set for 14 Mount Points - 46 exist

Post by veremin »

The oldest restore points will be deleted, once there are at least 25 points, counting from the second oldest full backup. Thanks.
digitlman
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by digitlman »

Well, I am almost out of space. I think setting this to 18 will do the trick.

Other than manually deleting the files, or changing the "remove deleted vm data" to 1, how can I run a clean-up?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, make sure that there are 18 restore points, starting from the second oldest full backup.

"Remove deleted vm data" has nothing to do with the number of restore points kept on disks, but rather with the VMs that are no longer present in the job.

The restore points clean-up is totally orchestrated via retention policy. Apart from automated retention policy and manual restore point deletion, there is no way how you can decrease the number of restore points.

Thanks.
Karatekav
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dexter Goodman

Post by Karatekav »

What if I decide to change a forward incremental job to instead start doing reverse incremental. Would the same restore points still be removed when its their turn?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The first restore point after switching will be a full one, the number of restore points will be kept according to the retention settings.
Karatekav
Novice
Full Name: Dexter Goodman

Post by Karatekav »

thanks also are reverse incrementals not more I/O intensive than froward incrementals?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

I must say I am so looking forward to finally putting this thread to the rest with the new default backup mode in v8 ;)
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Post by lp@albersdruck.de » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote:I must say I am so looking forward to finally putting this thread to the rest with the new default backup mode in v8 ;)
So give us v8 then! :twisted:
samh22a
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] : Retention point setting not honored

Post by samh22a »

Hi,

We've found out veeam was not honoring our retention point setting earlier today.

Job is configured to retain 2 retention points.

Looking at the backup , we can see up to 20+ backup in some cases.

Support is telling us it's a combination of incremental backups + dynamic env ( lots of new vm added everyday)

They are suggesting to go with a reverse incremental job, which is not recommended since we are using a Dell DR4100 appliance.

any other option ??

thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Your post has been merged into existing discussion. Kindly, check the answers provided above; should clarify situation for you. Thanks.
atike
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex Tooke

[MERGED] I have more restore points than I should - Please h

Post by atike »

Hi All,

I have Veeam B&R 7.0.0.871.

My restore points for my two back up tasks (Daily and weekly) are greater than what I have set in the actual job Retention Policy settings.

Details of the settings for my Jobs =
Daily Job, "Restore points to keep on disk" = 10
Weekly Job, Restore points to keep on disk = 4

The actual results and the details from "Backups > Disks > Job" =
Daily Job, I have 18 restore points available....
Weekly Job, I have 11 restore points available....

Please can someone advise where I'm going wrong??! It must be a setting somewhere..

Cheers,
Alex
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: I have more restore points than I should - Please help

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Alex,
Are you using forward incremental backup method for your backup jobs? How often is full backup scheduled?
Thanks.
atike
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex Tooke

Post by atike »

Hi Nikita,

Thanks for getting back quickly!

Yes, I am using the forward incremental backup method... (I assume this, as of the two options = "Reversed Incremental", and "Incremental" - "Incremental" is the one selected :))

The synthetic full is scheduled for every Saturday....

Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Alex, we are always ready to talk with our customers :)

So, your backup method is forward incremental. It makes Full backup(.vbk file) + chain of incremental backups(.vib files). The thing is, if you delete .vbk file all dependent .vibs will be useless since they contain "deltas" from the full backup file(.vbk). That`s why VBR waits until you have enough "new" restore points after Synthetic full to satisfy the retention policy and then deletes the old chain.
You can also find an explanation in the User Guide.

If you have a lack of space in the backup repository, you can enable transform previous backup chains into rollback option or switch to Forward Incremental-Forever Backup or Reverse Incremental backup methods.
Thanks.
EBoucq
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

[MERGED] Incremental with synthetic full / restore points

Post by EBoucq »

Hello,

I set up a job in Veeam v8 with these settings:
- Incremental (from Monday to Saturday)
- synthetic full backup every Saturday
- Restore points: 12

I'm running out of space on my repository and when I look at the backup for this job, I see:
- 16 restore points
- 3 full
- I still have a restore point for the 16/05 that shouldn't be here in my opinion.

Here is the backup properties: https://gyazo.com/8348e8ebaa526b2ef2eef91f64089ce5

I feel like I have too many restore points. Could you help me clarify this situation ? Should I change the type of backup so it doesn't take as much space, knowing I don't want to switch to reversed incremental because then the backup lasts too long. Can I "cleanup" some backup files ?

Thanks.
Eric
EBoucq
Service Provider

Re: Incremental with synthetic full / restore points

Post by EBoucq »

One more thing: what if I change the job to a forever incremental backup by disabling the synthetic full ? Can I do that now ?
What will happen to the full backup files ? I only have 1.8 TB left on my repository. Is it enough for the switch ?

Thank you !!
Shestakov
Veteran

Hello Eric,
Based on the description and screenshot VBR works as expected. Since you have 3 backup chains (Full+ forward increments), the oldest points can`t be deleted as it will make the whole chain up to 20/05 restore point useless. The chain is to be deleted by retention when all restore points of the chain are not protected by retention.
To save repository space I would switching to forever forward backup method to have exact number of restore points all the time and just one full backup.
Shestakov
Veteran

Wrote my first reply same time you submitted the second post :)
EBoucq wrote:One more thing: what if I change the job to a forever incremental backup by disabling the synthetic full ? Can I do that now ?
What will happen to the full backup files ? I only have 1.8 TB left on my repository. Is it enough for the switch ?
Thank you !!
Older backup files will go in accordance to their retention. New chain is going to work with no issues, you don`t need any extra repository space. So yes, you can switch.
EBoucq
Service Provider

Post by EBoucq » 1 person likes this post

Thanks again for your (always) quick and efficient replies !
You guys rock !

Eric
EBoucq
Service Provider

Post by EBoucq »

The job ran tonight with the new setting: forever forward backup (since I've disabled the synthetic full)
Here is the situation: https://gyazo.com/f446f9fb6e8bec5d76b009612c385e64

If I understood well, a forever incremental backup just needs one full. So, in my case, I still have 3 full. Which one will be come the only full backup ?
Until when will I still see an increasing number of restore points ? Tonight I have 17 ones but I set the job to 12.
Thanks.
Eric
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Until when will I still see an increasing number of restore points ?
Until there are 12 restore points, starting from the latest full backup. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

After the next run the oldest chain (Full+5 increments) should be deleted and in a week the second chain will also go so you will have 1 full + 12 increments.
Thanks!
Soze
Novice
Full Name: Florian

[MERGED] More restore points than expected?

Post by Soze »

Hello,

I made a backup job and I said this: 7 restore points. I do the backup Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday and I do a full backup Synthetic Periodically on Sunday.

Now, when I look restore points to restore a file, I see that I am 9 dining options.

Is this normal?

Thank you !
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Florian, yes, this is expected with forward incremental mode. Please see above for explanation.
Soze
Novice
Full Name: Florian

Post by Soze »

Hello, i don't understand all explanation (sorry, bad in english).
I try a job with 1 restore point to keep on disk. On this job i have 10 VMs. All vm have 8 restore point each ...

Why they are not deleted ? Loose lot of storage
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

With the specified retention settings, restore points exceeding retention will be deleted on a Sunday. Kindly, check this animation; should give a general idea how retention works for forward incremental chains. Thanks.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

[MERGED] Too Many Restorepoints on Disk

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

We have an big Problem .
We have an Backup to Disk Job in which a SQL Server was inserted . Therefore the SQL Logfile Backup runs under "Application Aware Processing" for this Job .
So, but when an new SQL Database is created or something on an SQL Database is changed then the SQL Logfile Backup Job makes trouble .
I become the Message : Collected SQL Server transaction logs do not match any existing database backup: MPLInterfaceDB;
So ok - now i make an Active Full Backup and the Problem is solved . Yes this Problem but i run in another Problem .

I have defined 30 Restorepoints for this Job in the Retention Policy , but meanwhile i have 40 Restore Points on this Job and the ISCSI Drive runs Full of Data Backup Files . This must come from the Active Full Job i make against the SQL Logfile Problem.

I opend an Ticket on Veeam Site , but Sorry Veeam , we as Company have an expensive Enterprise Plus Support Agreement. And i dont want to become Konowledgebase Article back when i have big Problems and i ask about Help !!!!!
Veeam Sent me this KB : https://www.veeam.com/kb1932 , sorry but id dont understand this Article.
I wrote Veeam Support to become Help , but i wait now till yesterday Morning.

Ticket Number : ID# 01892504]

I hope here i become Help , because Veeam Support fails in this Case .

Thanks
Michael
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I have defined 30 Restorepoints for this Job in the Retention Policy , but meanwhile i have 40 Restore Points on this Job and the ISCSI Drive runs Full of Data Backup Files . This must come from the Active Full Job i make against the SQL Logfile Problem.
You're using one of the forever modes, right? Reversed incremental or forward forever incremental one?

By creating a new full backup you've started a backup chain anew, meaning, you will have to wait till there are 30 points, starting from the latest full backup.

The provided KB article in indeed a correct one, check how retention policy works for forward incremental mode with periodic full backups (by creating a new full you've simulated that situation).

Thanks.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Post by WinstonWolf »

I used the forever Incremental Job , without syntetic full and without active Full Backups .

What should i do now to reduce the Restorepoints to 30 instead of 40 ?

Thanks
Michael