Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Taroking1
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Lack of information on backup copy job

Post by Taroking1 »

I have a backup copy job that appears to be stuck, or is waiting for something. I have now opened a case to find out the problem, but I really think that the information presented within the console is lacking.

If I click on the running job, I can see that it is waiting for something - but what? The job sits there for many hours with no change. A reboot of the Veeam B&R server and the source and destination servers get nowhere. I have also see the waiting for WAN accelerator message. But again, which one, the source or destination? This information should be presented in the console -maybe a "More information" button to assist.

The throughput indicator is also not useful in this case. This is not for every situation, but for many of these WAN acclerator backup copy jobs, if the job stalls for some reason, the throughput graph wrongly displays information. So you come in and check that you have a running job in the morning and see the throughput graph for the last 5 mins is still looking good. However a quick check of the other information shows that the job has been stalled for the last 8 hours, and that graph is from the last 5 mins when the job was actively transferring data. This graph needs to correctly show no throughput for the last 5 mins if there has been no throughput.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Lack of information on backup copy job

Post by Gostev »

Thanks for your feedback. I am pretty sure that in most cases, our jobs show which specific backup infrastructure resources it is waiting for. May be there are some scenarios that were missed? It would be good to identify them.

Did you know you can switch the graph from displaying the last 5 min to showing the whole processing period?
Taroking1
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Re: Lack of information on backup copy job

Post by Taroking1 » 1 person likes this post

Yeah, I can switch to the whole processing period, but it doesn't help. I would say that the job stalling was the root cause of this. The backup copy job would have say 20 machines in the job to copy, it would successfully get to 4 or 5 machines in and then just stall with no further information and this is where I was not able to see what was happening. The job was not even logging a further message such as "Source WAN accelerator error".
These stalling issues appear to have been fixed with the patch for V11. The job will now fail the machine it was having issues with and progress onto the next item to be replicated.