Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DSF767
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan Famiglietti

Large Disk Target

Post by DSF767 »

Hi All,

We are considering Veeam for a backup overhaul and wanted to get some opinions from the community about storage of backups

We want something with 10 GBE support and something that has some sort of SSD caching to help with backup speed to meet windows (full backup at least nightly if not 2x a day).

We have a little over 14TB we are going to be backing up nightly so we figure after dedupe to be able to store 30-60 days on site (then long term on tape) we are going to need somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 - 20 TB

This solution need to be able to scale (read add more storage) as we project about a 30% data growth rate per year.

love to hear what some of you other big data guys are using for backup storage!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Large Disk Target

Post by veremin »

(full backup at least nightly if not 2x a day).
Just out of curiosity - why do you need to perform full backup on such a frequent basis? Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I'm with Vladimir, I think first of all we need to understand the business case for having all restore points as full backups.
Storage doesn't comes for free, and with incremental backups you can backup a daily change rate of 10% (and sometimes is even less) thus saving at least 90% of every daily backup.
Assuming the usual 50% reduction in backups, the full is going to be around 7 TB, and a daily incremental at 5% is 0,35 TB.
On 30 days, full daily backups are going to require 210 TB of disk space, while a standard incremental backup with weekly fulls is going to use 45 TB, that is 4 times less.

Or maybe with "full backup" you mean the backup of every VM? Anyway, based on your numbers 20 TB are not enough to store one month of backups.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Dan is talking about dedupe storage, as far as I understand, and probably means that having full backups is preferable, since they are going to be deduped very well (unlike incrementals).
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Yes, but the goal of a dedupe device is not to overload it just to show how good it is to dedupe ;)

IOPS and the load in general on the production storage are far more important aspects, and a full daily backup is going to hit heavily the production storage, and the RPO values are going to be awful because of the huge backup window it takes to execute it every day. I think dedupe is meant to be Veeam's dedupe, like I showed in my numbers before.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I agree. That's just the other side of things.