Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
signore rossi
Novice
Liked: never

License for AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver based opterons

Post by signore rossi »

Hi, currently I am plannning a new Hyper-V 2012 server based using an AMD opteron system for a SOHO environment. I would need some advice on the licensing of AMD opterons. As far as I understood, Veeam B&R need to be licensed per socket and cores. But what exactly will be counted as a "core" in case of Bulldozer/Piledriver based opterons? The modules or the CMT-cores?

For example: 1 opteron 6212 = 4 modules = 8 CMT-cores
Which license would we need for this CPU? 1 x Tier A (1-6 cores) or 1 x tier B (7-12)?

One further question on Veeam essentials: one license is covering 2 sockets. Does that mean, both sockets has to be in 1 maschine? Or would we be able to use 2 server with one CPU each as backup/replication source?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice, signore rossi
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: License for AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver based opterons

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Opteron 6212 is 8 cores processor, so you need tier B license. No, sockets do not need to be on the same host. Thanks!
signore rossi
Novice

Post by signore rossi »

Hi Gostev, thanks for clarification! Just another question: where can I get Veeam in Germany? Is there any sales representative near Mannheim/Ludwigshafen/Heidelberg?

Best regards, rossi
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Rossi, yes, there is. Just fill-in this form and our sales team will contact you: http://www.veeam.com/buynow.html
signore rossi
Novice

Post by signore rossi »

thanks Vitaly! will do...
ChrisRoad
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Christoph Roethlisberger

Post by ChrisRoad »

Gostev wrote:Hi, Opteron 6212 is 8 cores processor, so you need tier B license. No, sockets do not need to be on the same host. Thanks!
This is a bit unfortunate as it's different of what Microsoft does (per example for their new SQL Server 2012 licensing scheme).
They count the AMD CMT cores the same way as they do with Hyperthreading on Intel CPUs, thus for Microsoft an Opteron 6212 is a 4-Core CPU.

Of course, AMD made up this hazzle by themself, as they decided that CMT should be called a fully-fledged core, though in reality it's far from that. (though much better that what HT can provide)
signore rossi
Novice

Post by signore rossi »

I completely agree to Chris. The discussion on bulldozer modules and CMT-cores is somehow ridiculous. The AMD marketing gag to call their way of hyperthreading “cores” is complicating life when it comes to licensing.

Especially in the case of small and micro enterprises the costs for software licenses has to be kept under control. e.g. if we would decide to use Veeam as the backup solution for our planned Hyper-V environment, we might end up with a cheap 6 CMT-core (e.g. opteron 4226). So we could stick to a Veeam tier-A license.