Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Licensing issues

Post by ejenner »

I bought new licenses on Friday

70 instances in one license and 26 sockets in another license.

I've loaded them into Backup Enterprise Manager.

At the top of the Enterprise Manager screen I get: "You have exceeded your license limit by more than 10 instances. Additional workloads requiring instance license will not be processed. View details "

When I view the report in Enterprise Manager it says I'm using 0 of 26 sockets.

It also says I'm backing up '0' Virtual Machines when in fact it is quite a few more than that.

It has counted '34' servers which it has multiplied up to 51.

Will it successfully backup like this or is it something I have to get sorted today?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Licensing issues

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
how did you load them into enterprise manager? They need to be merged first. The licensing support team can help if issues occur.

Best regards,
Hannes
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

How do I contact the licensing team?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

same like normal cases: my.veeam.com or support.veeam.com or veeam.com -> top right "support". Just choose "licensing".
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Seems they allow you to merge licenses within the portal. So I didn't have to talk to anyone. Just merged the licenses and downloaded a new license file. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it's working now.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, normally merging works in the portal. But from time to time there are situations where manual help is needed.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Getting this error now:

"01/04/2019 23:00:35 :: Error: WAN Accelerator usage is not allowed with the current license level. The job has been automatically disabled due to too many failures. Please fix all issues preventing the job from running before re-enabling it."

It's a real shame Veeam don't show this as a locked out feature on the website when you are deciding which version you want: https://www.veeam.com/products-edition-comparison.html
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
not sure I understand your question

Below two screenshots from the table you mention.

Best regards,
Hannes
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

It only appears if you expand a menu. It's not visible otherwise.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

But even if you don't expand it, the feature is shown as partially not fully supported ("some features" sign). Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

This is how the table really looks. Before you change anything. So without knowing you have to expand the table it is really easy to make a mistake.

Also, having to upgrade an entire new version to enable half-of-a-feature is going to be a tough sell.

veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

But if you don't expand the storing backup section (which is also marked with partially supported sign), you won't even see the WAN Acceleration feature. So, I cannot see how you can make a mistake regarding particular feature, when it's not even shown to you.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback; we may take another look and see whether there is a room for further improvements; appreciated!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

That's the point though. If not shown you don't consider it.
klingk
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Kling

Post by klingk »

Just wanted to chime in here in support of ejenner.

I didn't notice the difference in the checkmarks on the example given, to me it was, "hey there is a check in that column it must be supported."

These non-cloud vs. cloud WAN acceleration should be separate columns to keep this from being an issue in the future.

Also as an existing holder of the enterprise version that uses cloud, I'm going to look into using the WAN accelerator for my WAN backups !

And I think it would be a sign to acknowledge this was an issue and maybe bump them to the next level at no cost.

I don't know ejenner, just throwing my .02 worth in having been in a bind for not completely understanding various licensing and versioning issues myself in the past.

Licensing is harder to understand than a product because as a user of technology those things make sense, licensing happens in it's own little arbitrary bubble of the sales and marketing departments and has no bearing on technology ( or reality ) so IT people get tripped up by it all the time.

Licensing should make sense, the switch from sockets to instances kind of makes sense, but I was told early on that there was no way to combine the 2 models and ended up buying 6 sockets when I really didn't need to for a temporary transitional need. Now it seems you can use both and even trade them in ( for a somewhat arbitrary ) number of instances.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

but I was told early on that there was no way to combine the 2 models and ended up buying 6 sockets when I really didn't need to for a temporary transitional need
Wondering what was the source of the knowledge, as we've been allowing merging socket-based perpetual and instance-based subscription licenses since the inception of instance-based licensing model. Thanks!