Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Licensing - Ransomware Protection

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

We have an Enterprise Plus subscription and a Legacy per socket/instance license. We are running B&R v12.0.0.1420 P20230718.
If we upgrade to v12.1, are we licensed to use the Ransomware Protection feature? Or do we need to upgrade our license somehow?
(I have tried to find this information by googling, but to no avail.)

Kind regards,
PJ
d.artzen
Enthusiast
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Daniel Artzen

Re: Licensing - Ransomware Protection

Post by d.artzen »

We have the same license type and I can confirm that we can use the new malware protection features but with some limitations like yara scans, which are exclusive to higher licenses (advanced and premium suites).
You can find a comparison of the different license types and what they include in this PDF: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_data_platfo ... son_ds.pdf
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Thank you!
When comparing "advanced" with "premium", there doesn't seem to be any difference between them? Both of them have a green tick on everything.
d.artzen
Enthusiast
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Daniel Artzen

Post by d.artzen »

As far as I know the difference between these two is the included products. According to the https://www.veeam.com/licensing-pricing ... oducts-vdp the VUL licensing comes in three variants: Foundation, Advanced and Premium. Foundation only has the VBR, Advanced has VBR and Veeam ONE and Premium has VBR, Veeam ONE, and the Recovery Orchestrator.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Okay, I see. Thanks!
There seems to be an error in the listing concerning NAS Backups. We have Enterprise Plus, and we are doing NAS/File share (SMB) backups without any problems, but there is no tick, neither green nor black, in the listing. Or perhaps I have misunderstood something.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Disregard my previous message. The reason for us being able to do NAS backups, as well as backing up physical machines, is of course that we have Instance licenses in addition to Socket licenses.

Moving on. In this document...

https://www.veeam.com/veeam_data_platfo ... son_ds.pdf

...in the initial Security section at "Secure Restore with YARA", there is a black tick for Enterprise Plus, meaning that it is partially supported. But I cannot find any info about what "partially supported" means in this case. Can anybody shed some light on this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Do you have VBR or VAS Socket license?

OLD NAMING | NEW NAMING
Veeam Backup & Replication (VBR) = Veeam Data Platform (VDP) Foundation Edition
Veeam Availability Suite (VAS) = Veeam Data Platform (VDP) Advanced Edition

Secure Restore is available in Veeam Data Platform (VDP) Foundation Edition, but YARA scan option requires VDP Advanced Edition.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Then we have VBR, because the only product we have is Backup & Replication (Enterprise Plus).

So, as I have suspected, if we convert our Legacy Sockets/Instances License to VUL, we pretty much end up in the VDP Foundation Edition?

It is with great concern that I am reading this:
"Combining a Standard legacy socket license with VUL will restrict certain platform capabilities like the Scale-out Backup Repository."

We are using SOBRs now with Enterprise Plus. So combining the license formats is not a good idea for us?
We have 23 socket licenses, and we are using all of them, and we have 26 instances for backing up physical machines and NAS, and using 24. If we want to move to VUL and have the same funcionality as today, plus being able to backup up Nutanix VMs and using YARA scans in restores, what do we need to do, and what does it mean price wise, give or take? I realize that the price tag is a question for a sales representative, but perhaps you can give us a hint? ;-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You don't have a Standard Edition but an Enterprise Plus Edition, so this does not apply to you. You can combine your Sockets with VUL freely w/no feature loss.

No idea about a price, you will need to talk to your Veeam Sales rep. Besides, you will need to do a Socket license migration to VUL - and there might be short-term incentives around this. Like migrate now and get VDPA instead of VDPF, I'm pretty sure this was the incentive during one of the quarters in 2023. Not saying it is available now! Just that your Sales rep would know the best course of action at any point in time.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Thank you! :-)

Kind regards,
PJ
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Post by YouGotServered »

Curious, if you have the Enterprise Plus licensing level, why do you need “Advanced” for YARA scans? Doesn’t that just include VeeamOne? Do YARA scans leverage VeeamOne in some way?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

You're probably thinking about old packaging from the past. Unlike some other vendors we still allow existing customers to keep renewing those legacy perpetual licenses they already own despite they are no longer offered for sale, which certainly adds confusion.

However, in the current offerings editions like "Enterprise Plus" do not exist as licensing level for some years now.
Also that Veeam Availability Suite you're thinking which "just included Veeam ONE" does not exist.

With the current packaging features are distributed across editions are as follows:
- Foundation edition provides base backup & recovery (all essential features but no advanced functionality)
- Advanced edition adds Monitoring and Analytics (where YARA is a part of the Analytics)
- Premium edition adds Recovery Orchestration

I was on a call with Product Marketing just a few days ago where they were specifically thinking of some taglines for each edition considering their roadmap. In general you can expect Advanced getting more "advanced" features around cyber-resiliency with time, while Premium will remain reserved for "high-end enterprise" features.