Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
saxchick
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Susan Brady

Limit backup to specific network segment

Post by saxchick »

I am using Veeam to backup some client computers, but I only want the backup job to run if the computer is actually in the same building as the server (severe WAN bandwidth limitations). Essentially, I want to tell the backup job to only run if the computer has an IP in the range of x.x.x.0 - .x.x.x.254. Is this possible?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Limit backup to specific network segment

Post by Gostev »

No, we don't have capabilities like that (preventing backup jobs from running based on its IP address). You can only select preferred networks, using Preferred Networks under Network Traffic Rules. Thanks!
saxchick
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Susan Brady

Post by saxchick »

Thanks for the quick response. Any possibility of adding that as a feature request? We struggle with this issue ...
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

I had this same issue due to some routing changes (outside my control) that made it so that a private backup network(a 192 address) I had on my servers became accessible as another host on the network conveniently also had the same IP somewhere across the country (so it was not in my backup network, but became routable because somewhere else someone made it routable). I had to blacklist it outbound on our router (so it would failover to new one). I could also use windows firewall to block it, but not sure how flexible that would be for you.