Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Linux immutable repository in Scale-Out

Post by spiritie »

Hi Veeam Forums

I don't know know if I'm overseeing something, or you actually cannot do this?

I have an Linux Repository with 5 extents already running in SOBR with backups already targeting this. (Ubuntu 20.04)

I want to enable the immutable function but it greeted with an:
There is at least one repository with the backup immutability feature disabled on this server
All other repositories running on this server must use the same seeing
In the dialogue box it lists all the other extents in the SOBR and there is only an "OK" button. In my head I kinda expected a:
"Would you like to configure this on all extents in the SOBR" [YES/NO]

After you close this dialogue box, you are not allowed to proceed and save your changes, this is kinda a catch-22 scenario :?

It seems like the current only way to fix this is to break the SOBR and enable the function and create the SOBR again,
but this is way to much work because backups jobs are already configured to the SOBR :(

Regards.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Linux immutable repository in Scale-Out

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Gert,

Looks like it's rather a technical issue that the behavior by design, I will clarify it with QA and will update the topic once I hear back from my colleagues.

Thanks!
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

@PetrM any updates :)?
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Gert,

Actually, not yet... I'll ping my colleagues once again. May I ask you to open a support request for the issue as well and to share the case ID?

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Gert,

@spiritie
The behavior described is the behavior by design but not a technical issue as I thought initially. The main point is that the rights of transport service must be reduced when Immutability is enabled,
however all backups residing on the repository added with "persistent" credentials belong to root if the privileges of the repository account were elevated. It means that we'll loose an access to existing backups if we reduce the rights of transport service, therefore we cannot provide an automated option to enable Immutability on all repositories linked to the same host, smg like "Would you like to configure this on all extents in the SOBR" [YES/NO]".

The limitation above could be bypassed by selecting "Single-use credentials for hardened repository" at the level of Linux server settings so you may try the following workaround:
1) Go to Linux host settings and change credentials to "single-use" ones
2) On every repository change permissions on backup folders so that a new user can access these folders
3) Enable Immutability on every repository
I strongly recommend to perform all steps mentioned above under the guidance of our support engineers.

Also, I think we can change the text in the dialog which states that all repositories must use the same setting so that it becomes more clear.

Thanks!