Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Linux Proxy Storage Integration + NFS/NAS

Post by pirx »

Hi,

I was happy when I heard that Linux proxies support storage snapshots in v11 as we use IBM SVC as primary storage and XFS repositories as backup storage. Now I checked https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 and noticed that this is not true for all storage snapshots. As fas as I understand NAS is still not supported by Linux proxies. As we sometimes also use NetApp as NFS primary storage that means that we can not use storage snapshot for that? Any plans to change this in the future, Linux + NFS does not sound too odd and complicated to implement. If this is not possible it means that we have to either give up storage snapshots for the NetApps or keep Windows proxies only for that.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Linux Proxy Storage Integration + NFS/NAS

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
correct, the Linux proxy can only do BfSS for block protocols.

There are plans to also support NFS, but I cannot share a timeline yet. As for today, you can back up from Netapp with direct NFS (without storage snapshots)

Best regards,
Hannes
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Post by pirx »

Okay, this works. Drawbacks are longer VM snapshot times and that it's not possible to backup a VM with snapshots.

I just tested a backup with a VM with a snap and it worked. So what is this warning about?
The Direct NFS access mode cannot be used for VMs that have at least one snapshot.
And to be sure, FC storage snapshots with IBM Integration is working with Linux proxies? Does this depend on the vendor or will all FC Integrations work with Linux proxies?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

All FC/iSCSI integrations work with Linux proxies.