Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stephen.cilesio
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stephen Cilesio

[Veeam Linux Mount Point Servers] - Load-Balancing NFS

Post by stephen.cilesio »

With our backup environment (primarily our Hyper-V Environment), the on-host proxies were getting smashed with traffic so we decided to setup NFS volumes connected to a Linux Mount Point server to utilize the data mover feature and alleviate some of the stress on the hosts. This has worked a treat! The only issue is that if one of the NFS servers was to go down, then backups would fail as the repository is only as mentioned, pointing to one server.

The question i have is has anyone setup or if it's even possible to have 2-3 NFS Mount point servers setup in a load-balancing cluster? For example, you would have nfs1, nfs2 and nfs3 which have all the NFS mount-points on them, then within veeam you would add a VIP/floating IP so that if NFS1 was to go down, the backup job would go to nfs2? Or even if there's a better practice then just having an LMP Server spread out amoungst repositories.

I hope this makes sense and someone out there is on the same page as me.
chjones
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Chris Jones

Re: [Veeam Linux Mount Point Servers] - Load-Balancing NFS

Post by chjones »

What is your backend storage coming from?

Sounds almost like you'd be better suited using a storage array that can present NFS in a highly available fashion.
stephen.cilesio
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stephen Cilesio

Re: [Veeam Linux Mount Point Servers] - Load-Balancing NFS

Post by stephen.cilesio »

The backend Storage is NetApp Altavault. The storage is irrelevant as this is a limitation of the NFS mount-point service within Veeam as the the backup repository can only mount to one Linux NFS Mount-point server. So in short i'm wondering if you can setup multiple Linux Mount point servers with a VIP so if one goes down, the NFS Repository is still present and working.