Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
arobins
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Robins

Local Veeam backup plus cloud connect replication

Post by arobins »

Hello,

Running Veeam 9.5, I am performing backups of ten VMs to a local SAN device. The backup jobs for the volatile servers run every hour and are application aware. Included in this, is our MS SQL Server and I have Veeam handling the transaction logs with a 15 minute T-Log backup.

In addition to the above local backup, I have set up a replication job to a Veeam Cloud Connect partner, so that we can operate from their site if we were to lose our datacenter.

I have found plenty of information, but nothing that addresses a local backup working in conjunction with cloud connect replication.

My questions are regarding optimal configuration for scheduling and application awareness (if any) of the replication job. Should I run it hourly as well, or daily? Should it be replicating directly from the VMs or from the local backups (can I even do that)? How should I have the job configured for application awareness and t-log handling?

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Local Veeam backup plus cloud connect replication

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Adam,
arobins wrote:My questions are regarding optimal configuration for scheduling and application awareness (if any) of the replication job. Should I run it hourly as well, or daily?
It's up to you actually and depends on our RPO. If you're ok to lose data for the day in case of DR, then you can run it on daily basis.
arobins wrote:Should it be replicating directly from the VMs or from the local backups (can I even do that)?
In order not to load source/production infrastructure I would recommend running replication jobs from backups. Here is the required setting for that > Step 4. Specify Data Source
arobins wrote: How should I have the job configured for application awareness and t-log handling?
Logs truncation should be handled by one job, in your case it would be backup job.

Thank you!
arobins
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Robins

Re: Local Veeam backup plus cloud connect replication

Post by arobins »

Thanks for your responses! I think I've got it from here.